American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this partial mash over the weekend. Made a few modifications but kept the overall spirit of the recipe intact. This was my first PM and I screwed up my mash temps and I think I only got 42% efficiency (see my thread in the AG/PM forum). Either way, I'm excited to see how this comes out. Thanks for the recipe.

I have brewed this recipe twice and love it, Has anyone done a 10 gallon batch on this. I have all my equipment to step up to 10 gallons now. I'm figuring that i would double everything( grains, Orange zest, coriander) but what about the hops can someone help me out? Do i just double the hops too? any help would be great.

I have brewed this recipe twice and love it, Has anyone done a 10 gallon batch on this. I have all my equipment to step up to 10 gallons now. I'm figuring that i would double everything( grains, Orange zest, coriander) but what about the hops can someone help me out? Do i just double the hops too? any help would be great.

Yes... you pretty much double everything... you efficiency may play very little to the overall IBU... but it shouldn't matter... go for it.

Brewed this up on Saturday but couldn't locate any orange peels as the grocery stores were closed. Bad planning on my part.. I know.:( Should i zest some oranges and add to secondary or just forget about it? What's the best and most sanitary way to add orange to the secondary?

Cheers:mug:

Brewed this one up but with
10# 2-row
1#10L
1#vienna
.5 Ounce Corriander
2 ounces bitter orange peel
2 ounces Cascade @60
1 ounce Cascade @30
1 ounce Cascade@10

I wanted to do Maris Otter instead of 2-row, but my lhbs was out. Today was primary ferment day 3, and it died down a lot so I took a sample to check the gravity. Took a taste for the heck of it, and it didn't seem to orangy, and kind of grainy although the color was totally orange. I mashed at 155. I was planning on dry-hopping another ounce of Cascade, but I really want a distinct orange flavor so the wife and friends can drink it. So dump orange zest with the dry hop in secondary? I suppose one should dunk the orange in sanitizer before zesting? Any idea's on the grainy flavor? This has seemed to be a theme lately, and I admit that I use 2-row as the base for most of my brews, but this is only my 5th A.G. Perhaps my temps fall too much during my mash in my igloo tun, and gives a dry, grainy flavor?

Brewed this on Friday with my new equipment so I can do 5g AG. Everyone recommended a 10g MLT, now I know why. While stirring I had to be careful so I dont spill any grains all over the place. I didn't turn up my propane burner all the way so it took forever to boil so the wort is darker now. My sparge didnt go too well, I got my 6.5g of wort and took a gravity reading from the last bit in my MLT and it was .020. I didnt have enough of MO and didnt feel like opening a new sack so I substituted a pound of pils for MO. For hops I used centennial for the first 2 additions then cascades. My pre-boil gravity was .056 so this might be a stronger beer. I used my new conical and aerated with o2 and fermented out in 2 days with some serious activity. I'll dump a cup full this weekend and take a gravity reading then dry-hop the following week then rack to keg.

but I really want a distinct orange flavor so the wife and friends can drink it. So dump orange zest with the dry hop in secondary?

That would give it some flavor but since you're not boiling the oils I'm thinking it'd give it a pretty bitter taste.

My last batch of this recipe (slightly altered as I had posted before) worked out perfectly. I was working on it for a brewing contest we had here at work and I was able to get the beer kegged and force carbonated with a day to spare (although it probably could have conditioned for another week.) The day of the contest I took the full keg to work and went home with it completely empty. :| The beer ended up winning the contest but it would have been nice to have more than a half pint of it. =]

I made 10 gallons of this just kegged and tasted it. Seeming to lack the Corriander taste I dont know if I didn't crush it well enough or what.

For the Orange Peel I uses 4 ounces of freshly zested Navel Oranges. Its all I had on hand.

The Coriander I had ended up not being enough I wanted 2 ounces but only ended up putting 1.3 OZ because that was all there was in the package.

I added the Spices to my hop sock I'm doubting that had anything to do with it. I think next time i'm going to going the 2 ounces and buy pre-crushed coriander.

I'm thinking maybe I did not crush it well enough.

I want do this as my first AG, but know nothing about doing AG. I can only do a half batch. Could someone explain the process? Just like when you guys say mash does that mean literally or is that just the term for adding the grains? I know I'm a total newb

I want do this as my first AG, but know nothing about doing AG. I can only do a half batch. Could someone explain the process? Just like when you guys say mash does that mean literally or is that just the term for adding the grains? I know I'm a total newb

go to the section for newbies on all-grain

Thanks been there already, I didn't see a section on terms.

Mashing is just the process where you hold the grain at a specified temperature (usually 148-158 F) to achieve conversion of the starches to sugars, which the yeast will eventually eat.

How about trying the Partial Mash (PM) version of this beer? You can do it on the stovetop at home, no special gear required. I believe that there is a very good tutorial with pics around here somewhere, perhaps by DeathBrewer.

Originally Posted by benbarts
but I really want a distinct orange flavor so the wife and friends can drink it. So dump orange zest with the dry hop in secondary?

This particular beer does not hit you in the face with the orange. If you want a really orangy brew, you might have to do some fancy stuff like kill the yeast, add orange juice/flavoring and force carb.

I brewed this last Sunday, and hit an OG of 1.057. 6 days later, we're at 1.016, and the taste is wonderful. When the Cascade balances with the Orange, Corriander and my addition of Grains of Paradise, this beer is going to become the beer that people knock on my door at 3AM, wondering if they can have just one more bottle.

Thanks, blacklab. If you need incentive to visit Cleveland, know that there's a night of beer ahead of you, courtesy of a grateful recipe brewer!

Yea I read that tutorial and will probably give it a shot. I am bottling my first red ale next week then I will give this a go since my fermentor will be free. Thanks for the def too, that what I was looking for.

Mashing is just the process where you hold the grain at a specified temperature (usually 148-158 F) to achieve conversion of the starches to sugars, which the yeast will eventually eat.

How about trying the Partial Mash (PM) version of this beer? You can do it on the stovetop at home, no special gear required. I believe that there is a very good tutorial with pics around here somewhere, perhaps by DeathBrewer.

I brewed this last Sunday, and hit an OG of 1.057. 6 days later, we're at 1.016, and the taste is wonderful. When the Cascade balances with the Orange, Corriander and my addition of Grains of Paradise, this beer is going to become the beer that people knock on my door at 3AM, wondering if they can have just one more bottle.

Thanks, blacklab. If you need incentive to visit Cleveland, know that there's a night of beer ahead of you, courtesy of a grateful recipe brewer!

Awesome dude! How much GOP did you add? I've always wanted to give them a shot.

I have had 1.5# of bitter orange peel and 1.5# of corriander that has been taking up space in the freezer too long now. This is a perfect reason to eat some of it up.

I added the 2oz cascade pellets after 3 weeks of secondary....
Well, I fill my 5 gallon carboy to the neck before the pellet... after I dropped the pellets, the hop (oil) reacts with beer.... Cascade hop volcano.... I quickly drew some beer off and "push" all the hop back into the carboy... I think it'll be ok...
It would $uck if it got contaminated after I let it sit for 2 months.

This is my next batch...looks and sounds so good.

I do have one question though. If I can only use 2-row, can I sub in some Victory malt to bring it closer to style if I were to use Maris Otter. If so, how much would you use...1/4 lbs for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks.

This is my next batch...looks and sounds so good.

I do have one question though. If I can only use 2-row, can I sub in some Victory malt to bring it closer to style if I were to use Maris Otter. If so, how much would you use...1/4 lbs for a 5 gallon batch?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it, just go with 2 row. I've made plenty of this stuff with 2 row, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you did a side by side.

Sounds easy enough. I just thought I would cover the bases...just in case. I don't recall if my LHBS carries MO other than the 50# bags.

Looking forward to trying your recipe
Cheers

I just made another batch of this with 2 row and a lb of wheat malt, just for fun. Will let you all know how it turns out.

Can I ferment this at a higher temp, like 74 degrees? Will it throw the taste off if I use a yeast that works well at this temp?

Also, I like the idea of a bit of honey in the brew. At what stage in the boil do I add the honey blossom and how much?

Thanks

I'd avoid fermentation temps above 70 degrees if possible. With typical ale yeast you get some pretty funky esters which will result in a not so hot beer. If you're thinking about using a Belgian yeast and fermenting high to get some of those unique flavors, it sounds like an interesting experiment, but I've never done it with this particular beer.

I've never done the honey thing, but if you want to add some, just check another recipe for the time of addition. I would think very late in the boil, if not at flameout. Otherwise you'll just boil away all of the honey flavor and aroma.

I had my first pint of this tonight and it was great. very clear and fruity. lovely aroma aswell and its only been two weeks conditioning.

cheers for the recipe!!

if i remember ill post up a pic of the brew.

I'd avoid fermentation temps above 70 degrees if possible. With typical ale yeast you get some pretty funky esters which will result in a not so hot beer. If you're thinking about using a Belgian yeast and fermenting high to get some of those unique flavors, it sounds like an interesting experiment, but I've never done it with this particular beer.

I've never done the honey thing, but if you want to add some, just check another recipe for the time of addition. I would think very late in the boil, if not at flameout. Otherwise you'll just boil away all of the honey flavor and aroma.
I'm drinking a glass right now that I fermented with WLP 550/565. It's a blend of Belgian ale and saison yeast. I fermented it at about 95*F at one point. It basically turned this into a saison with balls. I also mashed lower and it came out pretty dry. I do't think this recipe really sounds like a pale ale. It makes a great saison though. Hops comin out the ass!

heres mine.

CIMG3046.jpg

If you want a picture of what this beer looks like (or at least looked like for me) click here. Thanks again for a great recipe, blacklab!

By the way: I added .25oz of Grains of Paradise, and it lends a nice, spicy note. It doesn't overwhelm in the slightest. It's just there, and tastes wonderful

If you want a picture of what this beer looks like (or at least looked like for me) click here. Thanks again for a great recipe, blacklab!

By the way: I added .25oz of Grains of Paradise, and it lends a nice, spicy note. It doesn't overwhelm in the slightest. It's just there, and tastes wonderful

Solid pic. There is one in the recipe thread as well, but it was taken with my iPhone and therefore is terrible. Yours is much betta.

Mine took a few weeks in the keg to balance out, but it is officially tasty as hell.
I'm pretty good at keeping my beers clear, but for some reason this one's pretty cloudy. I don't mind, though.

Mine took a few weeks in the keg to balance out, but it is officially tasty as hell.
I'm pretty good at keeping my beers clear, but for some reason this one's pretty cloudy. I don't mind, though.

The S-04 tends to not flocculate as much as your average 05 or Chico yeast. More flavorful, though IMO.

Back