I would like to learn all I can about the Stout - Portland Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackenedBrew

Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Lads and Lassies,

I just happened to stumble upon this site today, and I like what I'm reading so far. (it's a lot more entertaining than work today) :rockin:

I would really like to try my hand at brewing in the near future. Right now I'd have to say that I really like Stouts. Nothing like a Guinness to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Are there any Stout masters out there that know a good place to go try the different types of stouts? Care to join me and learn me up some knowledge? :mug:

When I was in Salt Lake City I had a stout called Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout. :ban: It seemed smoother than Guinness, and I liked that. Is this a common occurrence for oatmeal stouts?

Basically I would like to learn all I can about the Stout before I (hopefully) learn how to create it at home.

Hit me up sometime if you have any input.
Chuck

I'm not in Portland, but I've heard a lot about it and I know a few guys up there. I'm sure there are some excellent places to sample stouts. I'll ask for recommendations.

By the way, man, you're in frickin' beer heaven up there!

Yes, oatmeal stouts typically are smoother than any sort of Guinness you may find. Actually, "smoother" might not be the right word, but they do have more body, and they typically are a bit sweeter. Try a Young's Oatmeat Stout sometime and compare. That's a fairly easy one to find.

TL

Personal opinion here. Guiness to me is the most un-inspiring stout out there. No offense if you like it. I'd try several commercial examples and see which ones you like the best. Oatmeal Stout is generally smoother and creamier than regular stouts. If you want to try a good imperial stout, try North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin. Another favorite is Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout.

I would imagine Portland has a few high end beer stores that sell by the bottle. If I were you, I'd check one out and pick up some stouts.

McKBrew said:
Personal opinion here. Guiness to me is the most un-inspiring stout out there. No offense if you like it. I'd try several commercial examples and see which ones you like the best. Oatmeal Stout is generally smoother and creamier than regular stouts. If you want to try a good imperial stout, try North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin. Another favorite is Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout.

I would imagine Portland has a few high end beer stores that sell by the bottle. If I were you, I'd check one out and pick up some stouts.

No offense taken at all. I'm basically asking for other's opinions, and therefor I can't get mad if you say you don't like a certain thing. I can see why you would say that about Guinness. I've noticed that I enjoy it more from the tap than I do from the bottle and/or can.

Thanks for the ideas though, I appreciate it. I'll look around and see what I can find in the way of your suggestions.

i agree --- this place is incredible

my brain is full from all the information i have gotten over the past 2 days :fro:

I'm sure I could find the answer elsewhere, but since there seems to be a lot of traffic in here so far...

Is a stout any more or less involved than brewing another type?

Don't haze me too much, but I've never brewed before, and have only considered it starting today.

:mug: Man, I cut my microbrewing teeth on McMenamins Terminater Stout! No a stout is not anymore difficult to brew and is alot more forgiving if you have minor mistakes. Check out Bader beer and wine supplies for recipes as they have both regular stout and an oatmeal stout recipes. About the only difference is you use flaked oats instead of flaked barley. Their Irish Creme Stout was my first brew I ever did,then I just swapped the oats for the barley for my oatmeat stout the next time. If you are in a hoppy mood their Hophead recipe is the clone for Hammerhead which is sort of a darker pale ale I think. :mug:

It may be a wise idea to really familiarize yourself with the different stout types.

1. 13A. Dry Stout
2. 13B. Sweet Stout
3. 13C. Oatmeal Stout
4. 13D. Foreign Extra Stout
5. 13E. American Stout
6. 13F. Russian Imperial Stout
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category13.html

It'll help you identify which stout's qualities you like the most.

+1 on like the whole thread.

I travel professionally, three months here, three months there. I am forty, so I have been of age 19 years, I have drunk a LOT of beer over the years. I did a three month contract in Eugene, OR and actually paced the beer case there. I counted 19 boot lenghts (I am a 10.5) from the end of the case to the first micro I had ever heard of before in my life.

And Portland, Jeez Louise. Outside of Belgium you are pretty much in "beer heaven - planet Earth." Enjoy.

So I'm checking out the BridgePort site that Malkore sent me. When I get to their Stout page see an Original Gravity rating of 14.9 and a BU rating of 30.

These types of ratings seem to be a common thing I've seen on stouts (haven't really looked at the other types of beers). What do these ratings mean? Like I've stated, I do enjoy Guinness... how do it's ratings differ from BridgePorts? (so I can have a small idea of how it works)

14.9 is the OG in plato which translates to approximately 1.059 this is an indication of the amount of residual sugar in the wort prior to fermentation. The higher this number, the more sugar and more potential for a higher alcohol beer. BU 30 refers to the beer being 30 IBUs or "International Bittering Units" this is a measurement of the level of bitterness or hop profile. the higher the number the more perceived bitterness/hoppiness.

TheGAC:

Once again, welcome. You could waste months in Portland going to all of the great microbreweries. A great place to start, which will give you something of everything, is Henry's on 12th and Burnside. it's in the old Henry Weinhard's brewery building. Before they were decimated by Miller they actually made some good stuff. However: Henry's is just a great pub with about ~100 (or more?) beers on tap, including all of the local stuff from the area. Then you can decide what you like and go from there.

Welcome to the beeriest state in the union. The 20 lbs you gain from drinking awesome micros is not our fault.

Yeah the list is long of place you could go to drink around here.

You just missed the Holiday Ale Fest (or perhaps you didn't) anyway it had some great Stouts and Barely Wines available.

I have been to Belmont a few times and can recommend them as a place to go look for Stouts to temp yourself with.

Stouts are one of the easier beers to make. They are more forgiving if the fermentation stops early and if you burn the wort, who can tell?

Back