What type of hops to grow in Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderbydaybrewerbynight

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post been a long time reader though. I have always wanted to grow some of my own hops and am planning on putting some in this spring. I have never grown hops before but have had a large garden all my life so feel rather confidant I can do it (I hope lol).

My question is what are some hop varieties that I can grow in mid to northern Indiana that I will have a chance succeeding with? I use a lot of fuggle, Saaz, Northern Brewer, Cascade. Chinook, Mt. hood, Nugget, Cluster, Willamette, tettnang, and hallertau hops in my brews and would be able to get the most use out of these varieties. But If I can only grow one or two it would have to be fruggle or saaz they are by far my favorite.

Any help or advice such as where to buy cuttings from would be much appreciated, thank you

I am living in N. Indiana and have been pondering/researching the same thing. I brew mostly pale ale/IPA, stouts, and Belgians. From what I've read Cascade is a sure thing. I'm thinking about Glacier and perhaps Mt. Hood. Probably going to try 3 varieties. Maybe next year, but more likely it will be 2013. I still have a lot of planning to do.

I'm in northern Indiana and got some nugget and cascade from an acquaintance. He has had luck with them. I'll see next year.

I grew cascade, columbus, centennial, and fuggles in NJ last year. Pretty sure as long as they get enough water and sun they'll grow. Some may produce better than others though. Get em in the ground early in the growing season and u may get a decent first year harvest.

Growers in Indiana order a lot of Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, and Nugget. I would recommend looking at the newer varieties that have resistance to mildews. The old varieties like Saaz, Fuggle,and Golding are pretty susceptible to it and don't yield as well as the new hybrids.

When is the best time to plant hops I'm guessing spring like other plants but not sure.

I'm from Southern Indiana with a nice garden and think hops will be added to the crop this year.

Hey, I am also in Northern Indiana. I am also considering planting. How well do hops winter in our climate and how long before they can be harvested?

Cascade grows very well here, this will be there third growing season and last year I got 13lbs off of 6 plants, they weather the winter just fine cover them up with a bag of mulch before winter and after you cut them down. Very rewarding making an ipa or pale ale with your own hops I would recommend giving it a try. If you are in the fort wayne area in the next week or two I could give you a couple of rhizomes I need to split them up this year they are getting a bit to large.

Here in Central Indiana, I am growing nugget (the best grower for me ), cascade, centennial, sterling, columbus, and williamette. I am hoping for a better crop of Wiliamette this year. Keep in mind, all will likely grow here/some better than others. If space is an issue- I understand/otherwise compensate the lack of cone production by just planing more of that species around your property.

Back