My son's first brew day!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OofC_Zer0

Reaction score
So my mother in-law got my son a (root)beer brew kit!! He was so excited to get it. So we decided to merge the directions from the kit with my normal brewing and bottling techniques. And he was a natural brewer. Made me so proud!
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1231.jpg
IMG_1233.jpg
IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg

Awesome! Where did you get that kit, I've got three that would love to put there own root beer in bottles?

I shall ask my mother in-law, I know she was at a family reunion in Iowa. Might have gotten it on the way there(we live in VA). Will post up with the answer!

Awesome! Where did you get that kit, I've got three that would love to put there own root beer in bottles?

She got it from the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry gift shop. But they have a website http://www.copernicustoys.com/products.php?cat=3
IMG_1276.jpg
I hope your kids enjoy it as much as mine did. My younger son kept trying to help, when he gets a little older(he's 2 now) I will get him his own kit to brew!! :mug:

So the kit is naturally carbonated with yeast, so its going to have alcohol. I was a bit skeptical at first. But my son took an OG reading of 1.012!! Will post up the FG and see how much alcohol this baby is going to have! My calculation is somewhere between 0.3-0.5%! Just looking out. Also says "For ages 8 and up". He is only 5 but he rocked it like a champ!

You put naturally carbonated root beer into glass bottles? Everything I've read says you need to use PET bottles. To be drinkable, root beer needs a lot of residual sugar - what will keep you from having bottle bombs?

Cromwell said:
You put naturally carbonated root beer into glass bottles? Everything I've read says you need to use PET bottles. To be drinkable, root beer needs a lot of residual sugar - what will keep you from having bottle bombs?

Not sure. Hopefully it works out.

Checked one every day, carbonated nicely on the third day. Put the rest on the fridge to stop yeast activity. My son is super excited about them!!!

Back