Measuring honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
I've just ordered a bucket (15lb) of honey, I use 5L fermenters so that's probably 4 or so batches worth depending on what I make. I was wondering wondering what the best way to measure it out is? Should I be buying some scales and trying to pour it? Large measuring spoon? Cheers in advance!

i don't bother measuring it. simply because measurements are not accurate. eg you may measure exact amount but some sticks to the container so what you put in is slightly less.

one way i sometimes do is to pour it into small containers of a set size. (eg 1lb pots) that makes it easy to pour in an amount close to your target. then fine tune with hydrometer.

Yeah, I'm not looking for accuracy just a way of getting it somewhere close without pouring it all over the floor! Nice idea, will look into pots that might do the job

I just made up 22 gal last night between 5 5gal buckets and used my digital scale, and used a spatula to scrape out as much honey out of the measuring bowl as i could. All of the gravity readings were the same. I was using honey out of a 60lb bucket though. You should be able to eyeball it if your doing smaller batches.

Sounds like a digital scale and a tub to pour it into is looking like the best option, cheers guys!

put the tub (once weighed) in a sink of hot water to get the honey to pour back out more readily...less spatula action needed.

I buy a 60lb/5gal bucket every year at harvest time and I just use 1 gal glass jugs to portion out into ~ 12 lb increments. Also usually fill a few quart (~3 lbs) and pint (between 1.25 and 1.5 lbs) mason jars. My average 6 gal batch starts with a gallon and a quart, and I use the pints for other things like perhaps supplementing a beer brew, or cooking/eating...

I use a scale (with a bowl) to weigh & a large coffee cup to scoop honey from the bucket. I put waxed paper down on the counter to catch the drips. I use a rubber spatula to scrape honey off the bowl. Regards, GF.

Back