Brewing with Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCBeerologist

Reaction score
I want to brew a DIPA with some local honey. I figure I need about 2 lbs. for a 5 gallon all-grain batch. I'm adding about 1.5 lbs of corn sugar to the batch.

I'm worried about the batch being too dry with both fermentables (honey and corn sugar). Should I just be using one? Also, should I make any other adjustments to my recipe like take out some base malt?

Thanks,
D

Not saying I know what I'm talking about, but posting your recipe might help and eliminate future questions people may have

Honey is extremely fermentable- it will increase your alcohol content and dry out your beer. It will not contribute flavor if you put it in the boil/primary, and if you put it in 2ndary it *might* ferment out- contributing no flavor but adding to the alcohol.

Honey is a tricky thing to work with. Hope that helps?

I've tried honey in almost everyway possible...putting it in the mash, additions along the boil, at the end of the boil, after primary, in a secondary. You really need to experiment and see for yourself. At first I LOVED the dry taste of honey but know I can't stand it.

For me...its honey malt in the grain bill and bottling with honey.

Good luck

I have found too many sugars like both corn sugar and honey will add off flavors.

I suggest using honey as the only addition if you want to go that route. Since honey has a nice aroma to it and can contain wild yeasts; I would use it at flame out in your wort so you can get the good aromas and flavours without boiling it away; or risking wild yeasts ruining your batch if you add it at a later date.

At least for me I have found it to work that way.

I've tried honey in almost everyway possible...putting it in the mash, additions along the boil, at the end of the boil, after primary, in a secondary. You really need to experiment and see for yourself. At first I LOVED the dry taste of honey but know I can't stand it.

For me...its honey malt in the grain bill and bottling with honey.

Good luck

100% agree. I should point out there are many types of honey and many ways to use it, so it's hard to go beyond vague guidelines. I have also used honey in many different ways and I've also learned that Honey Malt is easier and better- if the goal is honey flavor. There are a lot of tricks you can do with honey- raise the alcohol, dry the beer out, different aroma's. I still use honey in my beer- when I have a reason to put it in there. But much of the time, honey malt gets the flavor profile I'm looking for and the other tricks... meh. I'd rather make a mead with that honey.

Back