freshops un-refrigerated/frozen for 6 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPAbrewing

Reaction score
I forgot to put my freshops in the refrigerator or freezer after i purchased them 6-7 months ago. They have been sitting in a dry bucket in their original airtight package in my closet. Can I still use these or will it be funky? (They smell ok) :)

If they smell good and not cheesy they're fine. They've degraded, and you should figure out how much alpha acids are left.

Check out the following formula:
future alpha = A*1/e(k*TF*SF*Days)
where e is the base of the natural logarithm. In Excel and other spreadsheet programs, e(n) is expressed as EXP(n). Let's walk through an example. Let's say we bought some Cascade hops at 6.4% a-acid 1 month ago and we want to brew with it 1 week from today. We're storing it in our home freezer, which is ~10 degrees F, in its original nitrogen-flushed oxygen barrier packaging. Table I shows that Cascade's percent lost value is 50%. Table II reveals that a percent lost of 50% gives the value for k as 0.00385. Table III shows that the corresponding value for TF is 0.228, and Table IV shows that the value for SF is 0.5. We bought the hops 30 days ago, and adding the 7 days from now, the value for Days becomes 37.
So our formula now looks like this:
future alpha = 6.4*1/e(0.00385*0.228*0.5*37)
which gives us 6.3% (rounded), which really isn't all that much different but proves that good storage conditions can really make a difference in a poor-storing hop like Cascade. If we stored it at room temperature in a poly bag the numbers would look like this:
future alpha = 6.4*1/e(0.00385*1*1*37)
which equals 5.6% alpha - a much more significant difference. It also shows the effect of poor storage conditions.

You can get the tables at http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.1/garetz.html

If they still smell super good, I would give it a try. However things could be pretty funky tasting. No way to know unless you give it a try.

In my short time brewing, I have learned to trust my nose. I once added centennial hops that didn't smell right even though I had just bought them. Guess what happened? Whole thing tasted stale with a terrible aftertaste.

Thanks so much! i appreciate it! According to my math the cascade hops (original acid 9.1%) it would have a final value of 6% acid which is more than 1/2 of the original. I assumed a conservative approach for the citra hops since it wasn't on the list (alpha original at 13.7%) and i'm still in the clear at 8.03%! :) Thanks so much! Also going to trust the nose!

Back