Top and Bottom Fermenting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrclasen

Reaction score
Just curious. What would happen if you used both top fermenting yeast and bottom fermenting yeast at the same time in the same batch? Has anyone ever tried this?

The middle part would be cloyingly sweet.

the top and Bottom descriptors are really a misnomer since they both kind of float about eating on whatever passes by them.

Plus the top fermenting yeast are best at ale temps and the bottom at lager temps.

If you put both in the one you are matching fermentation temps with will take over and the other will fade out.

That said, try it and report back!

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. But White Labs and Charlie P. have already produced a yeast that ferments at both ale and lager temps. Check it out. Cry Havoc

But, like GilaMinumBeer said, top and bottom fermenting yeasts are misnomers.

WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend
This is a blend of ale and lager yeast strains. The strains work together to create a clean, crisp, light American lager style ale. A pleasing estery aroma may be perceived from the ale yeast contribution. Hop flavors and bitterness are slightly subdued. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation, from the lager yeast.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium High

And here I was thinking some kind of tear in the fabric of space and time would occur....

I'll go sit in my corner now.....

I would try to find a cool medium temperature. "Steam Beer" or as I like to call it "hot lager" cause Anchor Trademarked "Steam Beer" when they revived the practice. Is fermenting with lager yeast at warmer temperatures.

I think a temp at the low 60's might work. The worst that could happen is the ale yeast overtaking the lager.

It's an interesting experiment that could lead to a unique beer. In fact, I think I saw one sometime ago when I was at my usual store, but I can never remember the name of it.

Latest posts

Back