what do you use to shield the wind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some ideas on how to block the wind from my propane burner. I was test driving my new hurricane burner today and had some issues. First was an intense burning smell which I guess was paint. It stopped after a while. I was able to get a blue flame with orange tips only when the wind was relatively calm. When a gust would come, the flame blew around of coarse but when it recovered it was bright orange all over. I have tried using my trash cans, grill, and even stacking some cement blocks. Can anyone give me some advice on how to use my new burner properly and some ideas on wind shields? Cheers!

Charles

Aluminum flashing. Super cheap, very effective, and you can cut it with good scissors. With the roofing supplies at the hardware store, probably in a roll. Here's how I worked that:
DSCF0908.JPG

Aluminum flashing. Super cheap, very effective, and you can cut it with good scissors. With the roofing supplies at the hardware store, probably in a roll. Here's how I worked that:
DSCF0908.JPG
+1 this is what I use. I bet you can come up with it cheap from a siding company. That's where I got mine

I used a complete sheild I made from a roll of galvanized metal to go around the burner. The only trouble with this was that the heat eventually warped the rubber hose where it connects the nozzle for the burner. This caused a leak and subsequent fire at the connection. I had to shut down the burner to repair the leak in order to continue my boil.

Now I just leave it alone and sheild the whole burner with plywood placed a nice distance away.

Burner11.jpg

Burner21.jpg

Took me about 5 minutes to do this on a windy day, I used wing nut to remove it when I was done. It worked so well, its still there today, and is a permanent fixture now!

Update: I bought some aluminum flashing...this stuff is awesome. The best part (not counting the uninterrupted flame) is that it doesn't conduct heat very well. As soon as I turn the flame off I can move the flashing. Thanks guys!

I used a complete sheild I made from a roll of galvanized metal to go around the burner. The only trouble with this was that the heat eventually warped the rubber hose where it connects the nozzle for the burner. This caused a leak and subsequent fire at the connection. I had to shut down the burner to repair the leak in order to continue my boil.

Now I just leave it alone and sheild the whole burner with plywood placed a nice distance away.

did you have your original shield going all the way around the burner and setback it so that the hose was exposed to the trapped heat?

I'm thinking about using some kind of metal shield with a cutout for the air intake and the heat shield for intake. I'm just curious how yours was setup so i can avoid the problems you had.

I have a 125 BTU burner I need to shield. Would aluminum or galvanized work for that? I though aluminum would melt and galvanized gave off toxic fumes.

My propane ball valve gets so hot it sizzles water when brewing! FYI, I use two jet burners...I just need to shield them better.

I use aluminum flashing too, hasn't melted yet. I made it more to direct heat up and around the kettle as opposed to outside my garage (it was taking forever to boil before I added this)

photo_8_.jpg

Back