Copper tubing for diptube/manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have recently gone AG and I was wondering if there is any reason to switch my MLT manifold from copper to something more... unreactive?

I've heard that it imparts off-flavors, but I've also heard it absorbs harmful chemicals (like HS). I know this is an ongoing debate, but I would like to see what you guys have to say about it.

I currently use an SS pot for my HLT and BK, and I was wondering what I should make my diptube out of SS, copper, or CPVC? (I have a feeling that CPVC is probably a bad idea at 100C). Ideally it would probably be best for it to be SS, but I don't know how I could accomplish that for under $50-75

As for my current MLT, it's a 5 gallon cylindrical cooler (the orange one you get at home depot), and it uses a circular copper manifold. Is there a reason to change this? Maybe to CPVP? (I won't even suggest SS as it would cost a FORTUNE).

pretty much all of my fittings/spigots are SS, and all of my tubing is silicone. I really like that they are pretty much the best quality materials for brewing, and I guess that's why I'm trying to remove/change any copper my system has (except my immersion chiller... that's pretty much unavoidable).

I'd like to see what you guys have to say about this situation.
Thanks for the help!
Jay

I have SS kegs for kettles and a 10 gal cooler for mashtun. Copper diptube tubes and a copper manifold. Also a brass ball valve on my pump and a brass fitting in my boil kettle.

My beers are great and no one is dead from drinking them.

JayMac,

There is no reason to switch from copper components in your brewing process. Copper has been used safely with brewing for years. I have seen copper kettles, copper fermenters, copper lines to transfer water and wort in the brewing process, etc.

One thing to keep in mind with copper - don't clean it with bleach. Use white vinegar, not the cider vinegar to clean copper. Oxi-Clean, PBW, One Step are also good cleaners for copper.

Back