Help with yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
I washed the yeast from my last batch. I started a yeast starter with about .5 gallons of water with DME, OG was 1.040 and I added about a pint of washed yeast.

How much from that starter should I pitch for a 5 gallon batch. I ussually add dry yeast packets, this will be my first try to adding washed yeast.

Another question is. Should I add or discard the liquid from the starter?

Thanks

Half a gallon will give you plenty of yeast for a 5 gallon batch, I usually do about 1-1.5L for my starters.

You can go either way with pitching all the starter or cold crashing and decanting the liquid. Since you have a half gallon starter I would decant, thats a lot of starter wort for a 5 gallon batch.

I would pitch all of the yeast from the starter that you can get out of it. I agree that cold crashing and decanting the liquid before pitching is appropriate here. That is, assuming the starter has enough time to finish fermenting and be cooled down before you are ready to pitch yeast. If my starter is still bubbling away on brew day, then I just give it a real good shake and pitch it all.

Latest posts

Back