Bakery Icing Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I know that a lot of people say that they get extra fermenting buckets from bakeries. I went to my local Safeway and they were more than happy to provide me with the icing buckets when they were empty. I got my first one the other day and it looks rather small. It says that it had contained 40 Lbs of icing. Im not positive on liquid vs solid measurements, but I thought 8 pound equaled 1 gallon. If that math is correct, that would make this bucket 5 gallons. Anyways, this definitely will not hold 5 gallons of liquid, probably 2.5 maybe 3.

Do any of you get buckets from bakeries, and if so are they this small? I guess I could use it for half batches.

The math doesn't work for frosting. I got one from the local Publix and it was just over 3 gallons. I use it for small test batches. You can also split a batch and use two different yeasts with it.

Ok, I guess I am just not getting the same buckets that others are getting though... the 5 gallons, maybe I will try walmart, thats where others were getting them I beleive

ya, well I guess 3 gallons is good for half batches, or if I want to expirment with flavors/fruits... but can't really complain if they are free :)

For a smaller batches I picked up a couple 4-gal buckets from Lowes.
They are HDPE and marked every 1/2 gallon (fairly accurately marked actually).

I have several of the 3 gal. bakery icing buckets. Great item as an intermediate size bucket. I have made a batch of graff in one; as has been said in a previous post, these are great for test batches. Otherwise, they can be used for storing grain or etc. And they're free, can't beat that.

For fermenting 5 gal. batches, I've found that I prefer the 7 gal. HDPE buckets from US Plastics. They have more capacity than the standard 6.5 gal. "Ale Pail," and are a bit more slender in their form factor, which gives a greater headspace that I prefer. The lids for these buckets can be ordered in a variety of colors, which helps to identify batches, and actually have an O-ring seal which is functional. The lid on the standard "Ale Pail" may or may not seal.

Just filled these with gallons of water to measure... then I looked at the bottom and it confirmed that the walmart brand holds 5 gallons of liquid(full to the brim) while the "Rich's" brand holds 4 gallons. I think I am gonna use them for grain and half batches until I get a new pot that will accommodate full batches!

Back