Southern Tier Mokah Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedYellow

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter
Yes - 2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 62F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 months
Tasting Notes
Very similar to Mokah. Coffee level, sweetness, hops, perceived alcohol are spot on.
NOTE- 3 GALLON BATCH!
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.42 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 52.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Boil Time: 100 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.43 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.40 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.40 %
0.80 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.72 %
0.60 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.04 %
0.25 lb Lactose 0.00%
0.75 tsp Irish Moss
--- HOPS ----
0.70 oz Nugget [12.90 %] (70 min) Hops 49.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.70 %] (30 min) Hops 19.2 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.70 %] (2 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
--- AFTER FLAMEOUT ---
1.00 oz Coffee (steeped in bag after cooling to 180F)
1.50 oz Cocoa Powder - Dutch processed (added to fermenter)
--- TO SECONDARY ---
1.50 oz Cocoa Powder - Dutch processed

Total Grain Weight: 11.90 lb
----------------------------
Mash Schedule: Used 1.1 qt/lb due to high gravity. Held at 152F for 90 min. Single batch sparge.
----------------------------
Special Notes:
- I used some slight mineral additions (0.1 tsp/gal baking soda, 0.25 tsp/gal chalk) that were likely unnecessary, since the mash pH was on the high side.
- Tastes almost indistinguishable from Mokah except in two areas: (1) Mokah has more chocolate flavor, so up the chocolate perhaps 25%. (2) This has a slightly different sweetness due to the lactose, so exclude lactose and mash higher (156-158F) to gain sweetness.
- Needs long aging, 3 months is good. (after 3 weeks, taste was strongly of coffee.)
- There are other ways of using chocolate, but this was the cheapest and easiest and the flavor compares fine to Mokah. I added cocoa powder directly to fermenter, else it would have settled out in my trub removal process. Added more to secondary.
- Coffee was 1 oz (0.33 cup) 50% Colombian, 50% Black Cat espresso. Steeped 6 minutes after cooling wort to 180F. Coffee taste was perfect, so do not steep longer, or hotter, or a greater amount.
- Southern Tier Mokah is listed as 25P / 11.2% abv (OG=1.107) which is stronger than this recipe. In comparison testing, any alcohol or mouthfeel difference was minor.

I should also point out that I wasn't actually trying to make a Southern Tier clone, hence the OG difference. But it turned out essentially a clone of Mokah, so I titled it accordingly.

The two beers even have a nearly identical head and foam stability (both of which are really lousy, but who cares :) ).

Enjoy!

I have enjoyed Mokah several times. If you stop by the brewery when they are bottling, you can often pick up bombers that might be only an ounce short of the 22 oz. for only $4. I know you mentioned you were not actually trying to create a clone, but I bet it's delicious. For what it's worth, I was on a tour when they bottled the first batch and got to sample it. They apparently brew the Chocolat and the Javah separately and then do a 50/50 blend as it's being bottled.

Ill be making this next week! Im doing a 6gallon batch so I doubled your recipe, and added 25% more cocoa and will be mashing higher, arould 158. Ill keep yall posted.

Good luck! One more thing- if you add cocoa powder to the primary and/or secondary like I did, make sure to first dissolve it into a little boiling water. Else it would just float on the wort/beer.

So, brewed it last week. used 20lbs marris for a 6 gallon batch and ended up with a fg of 1.124. I missed my mash temp ba a lot. it was as 150 for most of the time. Therefore I think it may be a bit more potent than I wanted, but Im hoping that it pitters out at 1.030 or so. Will still be plenty strong. Also took out the lactose as suggested and raised the cocoa to 3.5oz for the 6 gallons. Kept the coffee the same, but used a Nanni Challa?, coffee extremely fresh roasted just days earlier than the brew day. Should be good...in a year!

Back