Butterbeer Soda Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosmerta

Reaction score
I know there have been other threads on Harry Potter style butterbeer, but as far as I can tell its all ale and beer processes that make an alcoholic drink.

I was actually wanting some advice on making butterbeer like one would brew rootbeer or gingerbeer. Under .5% ABV so that it is safe for kids. Other considerations is that it is suitable served hot or cold without differing the recipe, or making additions. I also want a good "head" that is particularly pronounced when served hot, so I am thinking of adding maltodextrine, but I am unsure of the amount for a 2 liter bottle. I would also need to adjust the sugars accordingly to account for the added sweetness it imparts.

So far I have decided to use champagne yeast so as not to impart too much bready or beery flavour, and my flavour guideline is "Mildly Spiced, Frothy Butterscotch Cream Soda", although I am determined to make sure it doesn't turn out too sickly, that would turn off someone from being able to drink a full serving (as I have read is the case with the Butterbeer at Universal), but also making sure to keep it palatable for kids expecting a robust and pleasant taste.

So far my process looks like this;
1-2 Tbl of appropriate extracts and/or tinctures
3/4 Cup of appropriate sucrose (still debating this one)
1/4 Tsp of champagne yeast
Filtered water filling a 2 liter bottle

Then I ferment 3-4 days, but I want to make doubly sure I don't over ferment. My butterbeer doesn't need to be as carbonated as common soft drinks necessarily. I also need to kill the yeast, in case I decide to bottle the cold stuff, I don't want them waking up at warmer temperatures. I was thinking I could heat it to at least 140 degrees, then bottle the stuff that will be cooled (but this would probably ruin the carbonation) and store the heated stuff in thermal storage containers.

I appreciate any advice or help and I will be sure to post the results.

To halt fermentation in the bottle, you could heat in the dishwasher. I read that elsewhere on the forum, and I thought it was sage advice.

Heating might have a small effect on flavor, but not as much of a flavor effect as exploding glass.

I have also seen instructions that indicate 2 or 3 tiny dry yeast pellets per bottle. I assume this method hopes that the small number of cells would give up the ghost before creating bottle bombs.

Have you considered external carbonation methods? A carbonator cap and a CO2 gun could solve this problem nicely.

I have my butterbeer recipe listed on my blog. It doesn't have as much head as you'd probably like, though perhaps yeast and maltodextrin could solve that problem.

My intent was that the malt is what would differntiate the butterbeer from butterscotch or butterrum, even though my recipe does include rum flavor.

This recipe lends itself well to extra sugar rather than less, so I don't think you'll have a problem with it turning out "sickly"

I really appreciate the help. I have a trial brew in the works right now, should be done in a day or so. I will post the results.

MrFoodScientist; I really like you blog. I will have to try it with malt at some point, although I have to say I am pretty inexperienced with things like that.

Back