Fermenting orange peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJames

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How would I ferment orange peel? A guy in my beer club did a small bottle of it, granted it was nearing 150 proof and we mixed a spot of it into our wheat beer. Tasted amazing!! But how would I do it?

150 proof? I don't think I've ever heard of a yeast that can survive 75% alcohol, pretty sure that's one of the BIG reasons for distilling. I also don't think that any part of the rind has enough sugar in it to feed yeast.

Sounds more like he did an extract or tincture. The broad strokes of the two methods is putting orange peel into a high proof liquor, like Everclear or another pure grain alcohol, or any of a number of rums and vodkas.
Just using the peel would result in something high in aromatics, but low in flavor, and even the most careful removal from the pith can still leave some puckering qualities.

Yeah, what they said. Orange peel in booze. Easy to make, peel orange with potato/carrot peeler and add to spirit of choice. Orange peels themselves would not ferment in any appreciable way.

Orange peel can also be used right in the brew - just add it to the boil for the last 10 - 0 min. Or add it after fermentation (I find it is more pleasant and incorporated into the beer when added to the boil though)

Its pretty standard for some Belgians-like wits, but you can use it in any beer you want. That's the fun of it.

Latest posts

Back