Anyone have the Kitchenaid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewengineer

Reaction score
Hi I am a new member, and this is my first post. I'm fairly new to all-grain brewing, but I had this question (I read all the other posts)

I was at sears, and they had the Kitchenaid grain mill on sale for 20 bucks, but it rang up wrong, and I got it for $12.95. Pure dumb luck really.

All the negatives I read about this thing seemed to be the cost. Has any one done a whole batch with the kitchenaid? Did the mash get stuck? I don't really understand the stuck mash and why the kitchenaid is'nt the best for brewing could someone please explain for me. Sorry, I'm a new-be to all of this.

Only downside I can see from the Sears Web Site is how long it takes to Mill the Grain. One guy said that his was Blazingly fast at 2 quarts per minute. When you are talking about 10-25 pounds of Grain, that's not good. Granted, I haven't seen the rollers of this mill either. Hey, if it works for you, Brew On!!!

I have heard that they don't work at all. I think the reason was it basically shreds the husks up and gives you more of a flour crush. These two things combined can give you a stuck sparge because the intact husk is what forms a natural filter bed, and the flour will turn into dough.

But hey, you've got the mill so you can make flour for bread. :D

So my take on it is, don't use it unless you want to see if it will work but I doubt it will. You may possibly have to modify it if you really want it to work (if you indeed can).

i've heard similar things about it shredding the husks, and was going to get one for my kitchenaid but opted for a barley crusher instead.

Latest posts

Back