Beersmith: Template for HBT recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
I've posted a few Beersmith recipes, and I find it to be a bit time consuming. So I knocked together a quick template that adds a VBulletin-formatted recipe to the drop-down menu that lets you select the view. That way, you can 'select all', 'copy', the whole thing, paste into a post here on HBT, and get a formatted recipe without a lot of goofing around.

The idea is that you can get a BeerSmith Recipe into Vb forums without having to save text files and muck around with the formatting. The template file is attached, so if other Beersmith'ers want to have at it, go ahead.

Is this a useful feature? See below, and let me know:
====================================================
[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Sorachi Wit[/size]
Brewer: Joe S
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8.0 oz        Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)                      Adjunct      4.76 %        
5 lbs         Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)             Grain        47.62 %       
3 lbs         Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                   Grain        28.57 %       
1 lbs         Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        9.52 %        
1 lbs         White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)                Grain        9.52 %        
0.25 oz       Sorachi Ace [14.00 %]  (60 min)           Hops         11.8 IBU      
0.25 oz       Sorachi Ace [14.00 %]  (15 min)           Hops         3.1 IBU       
0.20 oz       Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)        Misc                       
0.40 oz       Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)             Misc                       
1.00 oz       Tangerine Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)      Misc                       
2.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
1 Pkgs        Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [StarYeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
Code:
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
80 min        Mash In            Add 13.13 qt of water at 165.9 F    154.0 F
Notes:
blah blah blah

View attachment recipevbb.txt

Cool, next time I have a recipe to input to beersmith I'll try this format and see how it goes.

Yes,

How do I get it into Beersmith?
I've copied it to the template folder but it doesn't show in the drop down.

You have to add the report to beersmith before it can use it. Go to the Tools menu, select Options, then the Reports tab. Use the Add button to add the report template, restart Beersmith, and you should be set.

Obviously, the template can be modified.

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: $NAME[/size]
Brewer: $BREWER
Asst Brewer: $ASST_BREWER
Style: $STYLE_NAME
TYPE: $TYPE
Taste: ($TASTE_RATING) $TASTE_NOTES

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: $DISPLAY_BATCH_SIZE
Boil Size: $DISPLAY_BOIL_SIZE
Estimated OG: $EST_OG
Estimated Color: $EST_COLOR