Keggle.. Is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caldridge32

Reaction score
Right now I use a 20 gal kettle for my boil. I have been looking at using 15.5 gal kegs in my brewery for one purpose or another. As we all know finding and purchasing a keg legally is very difficult. It is even worth trying to find kegs the honest way? Im starting to feel like I should stick with kettles and try to figure something else out for my keg needs. I live in Mich and if anyone knows where I can get 2-3 kegs the honest way please let me know.

Why would you want to go to a smaller vessel? If you are making 10 gallon batches, you only need a 5-6 gallon kettle for sparge water.

Not looking to down size at all. I would like to use 1-2 for fermentation purposes. I would also like to turn 1 into a mash tun. I have access to someone who is willing to do all the welding I need so using converted kegs seemed like a good choice

Found mine on Craigslist. If you already had a 20 gallon pot why downsize? If a deposit was paid for it it's legal. The deposit is suppose to cover damages or not returning the keg. Im not up to date as to why the kegs lice will come to you house and prove its their keg you've cut up. Secondly....isn't the deposit suppose to cover the cost of replacing the keg?

If I had a 20 gallon pot id stick with it. If I wanted something new I'd look for a few kettle in the EE.

Back