How Big of a BIAB Batch Can I Do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have seen a lot of BIAB articles and posts and am very interested in trying it out. I have a 3 gallon pot (about 3.5 to the rim). How big of a batch could I prepare in this size pot?.. I am not sure how much water displacement grain produces.

Thanks,

MT

In a 3.5 gallon pot, you could probably do a 2 gallon batch. I used to do 4.5 gallon batches by doing side-by-side BiaB in a 4 and 5 gallon pot, so you could probably do up to 4-5 lbs of grain for a 2 gallon batch.

If you have another similarly sized pot, you could go bigger by doing BiaB with a sparge, or do the side-by-side BiaB if you pick up some extra bags..

Thanks for your response. I was actually hoping to do 2 - 2.5 gallon batches to start off with in that pot. Per pound of grain how much water displacement can I expect?

I use a 5 gallon pot to do a 2 1/2 gallon batch and I really have to watch so the hot break doesn't boil over. I also start with 3 1/2 gallons of water and stir my grains into it. When it boils down, I will only have 2 1/2 gallons left. I would doubt you could do a batch any bigger than 1 1/2 gallons.

You can do a 2 gallon batch.
My last batch was this size in a similar pot using paint strain bags from lowes.

Pay close attention during the boil. I had one minor boilover.

Sounds good... I am going to have a go at it... Worse comes to worse I will have to buy a new brew pot :rockin:! In that case what size pot would I get to do 5 gal BIABs?

Thank you all for your responses!

MT

Sounds good... I am going to have a go at it... Worse comes to worse I will have to buy a new brew pot :rockin:! In that case what size pot would I get to do 5 gal BIABs?

Thank you all for your responses!

MT

Did the same thing last week after tasting the centennial blonde I made in my 3 gal pot. I got a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot for 20$ already tested and it will boil over 6 gallons on my cheap electric stove top

Back