Juniper Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I brewed up a 2 gallon extract the other day with 2 lbs of Dark DME and some amarillo hops (.55oz). Added the extract, brought to a boil and added hops. Boiled for 15 minutes then cooled in the sink with cold water for about 20 minutes until it got down to 70F. Then I racked it on top of a yeast cake that I had just racked a pale ale off of a few minutes earlier (Wyeast 1056). Tasted good with a juniper flavor and my wife thought so as well. I just racked to secondary today and it still has that flavor. My question is, is that the amarillo hops? Any other ideas? I would attribute it to the yeast and hops from the previous batch but we tasted it before it was added.

I've been wanting to try using the yeast a second time and it turned out very well, even for a extract batch and simple recipe. I like doing the all grain but extract is so much easier.

amarillo is more citrusy flavored, some say orange or lemon. Juniper? hmmmm....could be your water interacting with the hops flavor maybe? You should brew up a second batch and see if you get the same thing, unless of course you dont like it....in which case be glad you only did 2 gallons!

No I like it. I think I'm going to make a habit of doing a small batch like that when a rack a AG to secondary. I hate wasting all that good yeast and I'm not comfortable with culturing it yet. Next time I think I'll use light DME though. I just had that dark left in the cabinet for bringing the AG up to the gravity I want.

Amarillo hops have a distinctly different flavor than any other hop I've tasted. It could just be me and my perceptions but I tasted it too and I want to experiment more with them. It seems to me that they could easily overpower certain types of brews, but I get what you mean about the juniper flavor...that, or something unusual and very tasty.

Back