Help with random grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickwalker

Reaction score
My LHBS always has a batch of grain that someone made but decided to abandon for some reason or another. So what do they do with these orphaned grain bill? Mark it down 50% and wait for some sucker like me who can't resist a deal to buy it.
So the last time I was in the store they had one of these orphaned bags of grain that was supposedly meant to be a dopplebock. Details below.

6 lb Wheat
4 lb Munich
2 oz chocolate malt

Well I don't want to make a dopplebock. So what should I make?
I've got a couple different strains of Belgian yeast I'd like to use before they get too old, I've also got all the popular iPa hops that I've been hoarding (including Nelson sauvin which are burning a hole in my freezer).
So what do you guys think are possibilities? I'm thinking pale ale, some sort of Belgian, or maybe some sort of Belgian pale ale?

Looks more like a Weizenbock grain bill to me. Do you know what kind of wheat it is? Malted, unmalted, torrefied, rolled, etc? Last time I mashed a bill with that much wheat, I had to deal with a stuck sparge. Is it pre-milled or will you mill it? Might help to have some rice hulls. In any case, what you have is a German wheat beer grain bill, so maybe Wy3068 would be a good yeast and for hops maybe some German Noble hop like Hallertauer. Otherwise if you're really wanting to use the yeast and hops you have on-hand it will probably still make a good beer, just not solidly within a style category. If you don't care about that, then go for it!

I could care less about style. It's malted wheat. I'm thinking Of doing an ale with Columbus for bittering and willamette for flavor/aroma.
S05 for yeast and ibu's at about a pale ale level.

Back