How late can you add yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanbmc

Reaction score
I was planning on brewing today and as I unpacked everything I realized I have no yeast :(.

Can I get it brewed and sealed up today, and then add the yeast later this week when it comes in? Is there any reason the wort cannot sit sealed for a short period of time?

Sean

You want to get the yeast in as soon when it gets down to pitching temps. This reduces the chances of airborne contaminates.

Waiting till later in the week defiantly is way too late. I would say you'll be looking at a spoiled batch of beer by then.

Best if luck,
Marc

Sure. Read some of the post on No Chill brewing. How long are you going to let it sit? Some people say it should be under pressurwe if you are going to let it sit for a while. The longer it sits the greater the danger of losing it though

This would be kind of an interesting experiment. Make a one gallon batch, cool, transfer and wait to see if anything happens. Check how clean you are in the process.

I would wait as long as the yeast gets shipped to me, hopefully by friday. Although at this point I think ive decided to put it aside for today, and work on my other project of freeing up a keg.

Aeration seemed to raise the problem in my mind. I would imagine I would have to aerate the wort before I add the yeast, and after sitting with air on top and then introducing possible new air to contaminate sees too risky. Maybe under pressure, but I dont have an open keg, and with two beers on tap, 3 kegged and 3 in secondary I do not need to rush to contaminate this batch.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Back