Getting motor oil out of a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKLehmer

Reaction score
I had a buddy cut up my keg last night and we used a step bit to cut the valve hole. I wasn't really paying attention when he started cutting and before I knew it he had dumped about a cup of 5W-30 into my new keg. He insisted that it's no different from cutting oil. When I got it home I immediately filled it with water and oxiclean and scrubbed the hell out of it, but it still just reeks like an old car engine. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get it any cleaner? Is there something that will get oil off completely?

Any soap should do the trick. Laundry detergent made into a paste and spread around works good for getting it off my driveway :O. Liquid dish soap worked well too it was just harder to rinse off. You may not be smelling anything from inside the keg after cleaning it it could just be what is on the outside.

Any soap should do the trick. Laundry detergent made into a paste and spread around works good for getting it off my driveway :O. Liquid dish soap worked well too it was just harder to rinse off. You may not be smelling anything from inside the keg after cleaning it it could just be what is on the outside.

I agree. Use some good dish soap with some grease cutting power like dawn or even some degreaser from the dollar store. After you clean it out good, finish up with an alcohol soaked paper towel to get any reamining residue out.

I would use soap to cut most of the oil followed by starsan. Starsan has excellent surfactant properties. No bleach, no wire brushes ... your keg will thank you.

Yeah, DO NOT USE BLEACH, it will ruin the keg. I work in the automotive repair industry, and what we use to get oil out of an engine's cooling system is Dawn dish soap or Simple Green degreaser. I prefer Simple Green, you can make a high concentration and it doesnt foam nearly as much as Dawn. Both of them work very well though.

I agree with the simple green. It is biodegradable. Also purple power would work. Cleaned restaurant kitchens a lot with it. Dawn is also a great soap for grease. Good luck and let us know what worked best.

Back