Brewing Beer with REAL Moonshine Added

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey all,

I live in Charlotte but have some friends who live up in the mountains in Asheville and they make an absolutely deadly apple pie moonshine. I'm not talking about the stuff you get from the liquor store, this is the real deal. It tastes eerily like home made apple pie and will seriously put you out of commission if you're not careful (I know from experience).

I have a couple mason jars sitting next to my decanter and was thinking of taking my stout recipe and racking a 5 gallon batch onto some oak chips soaked in this apple pie deliciousness.

Has anyone done anything like this in the past? Any success? Think the apple pue flavor will come through?

Let me know what you think!

Mark

This is called fortifying and sometimes it works out. Why not just mix them in your gut though?

I was think about something similar just today. I live in VA. And I thu some ..... lets say people got my hands on some of the best fruit moonshine I have ever had.

I was wondering about adding some into a few bottles as I was bottling just to test it? I don't know if it will work or just give me flat beer. :confused:

Think the apple pue flavor will come through?

I watched Justified so I know if you are drinking apple pie moonshine, you's about to get assassinated by Mama Mags Bennett. Is that stuff real? Figured there's a good chance it'll make me blind. What's apple pue? Sounds nasty.

Thanks for the feedback so far. First, I think this will be fun to try for novelty at least because from what I've read this isn't a common practice. Secondly, I think soaking oak chips in it will actually impart some interesting characteristics to the finished beer considering what happens when you soak chips in bourbon or whiskey.

That being said, I know soaking oak chips in bourbon or whiskey imparts flavor, but will it bump the ABV by any significant amount? If so I'm going to have to be careful how much I add especially considering I'll probably need to add more shine than per batch due to the lower flavor profile.

Thoughts?

Back