Where are all the oxygen regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balazs

Reaction score
I was just about to buy an oxygenation system and now I can't find any regulators from any home brew sites. WTF!!!!! They all say out of stock or not available. Did I miss something?????:confused::confused:

I was talking to a guy at MoreBeer about this... I believe the original company they were buying them from decided to stop making them. MoreBeer wants the kind with a barbed fitting on it so they can attach the tubing with an inline air filter. It looks like the supply is being replenished now, though.

Rumor has it they were recalled. As most of us know, they are junk...but workable junk. I've had mine for years, and as I have mentioned in other posts, it only has two settings "Off", and "Cranked open all the way" no variable setting in between whatsoever. That ultimately might have been the item's downfall.

So now it is going to be up to some enterprising guy who understands that sort of thing to go to a hardware store, look at the regulators normally used for our favorite little red bottles, and come up with a working adaptation of that.

I'm assuming the Bernzomatic Brass Torch head would work for the bottles?

JT539T_lg.jpg

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS...etail/mid/1009/xmid/6937/xmfid/3/Default.aspx

Just cut it off before you get to the center piece, about an inch to the left of the regulator and attach a hose and stone to it?

So now it is going to be up to some enterprising guy who understands that sort of thing to go to a hardware store, look at the regulators normally used for our favorite little red bottles, and come up with a working adaptation of that.

I don't have a regulator from a "favorite little red bottle," but I do have one from a propane torch (Bernzomatic, just like the red bottles).

I've been looking at it for the last 3 weeks and wondering why I need to buy an oxygenation kit, rather than just a diffusion stone and some tubing. Assuming thread sizes are the same, It looks fairly simple to shove the tubing over the end of the torch regulator (unscrew the extra part at the end which controls the oxygen/propane mix), and maybe add a hose clamp. The regulator on the propane torch is completely adjustable. Am I missing something?

I don't have a regulator from a "favorite little red bottle," but I do have one from a propane torch (Bernzomatic, just like the red bottles).

I've been looking at it for the last 3 weeks and wondering why I need to buy an oxygenation kit, rather than just a diffusion stone and some tubing. Assuming thread sizes are the same, It looks fairly simple to shove the tubing over the end of the torch regulator (unscrew the extra part at the end which controls the oxygen/propane mix), and maybe add a hose clamp. The regulator on the propane torch is completely adjustable. Am I missing something?

No, I think you've go it. if it fits and you don't accidently ignite it I think you'd be golden to hook up a hose and a stone, or a hose, wand and stone like my setup.

I'm pretty sure that the reason we are even using these is that someone just hooked up their standard regulator and started using it, not that these were made specially for brewing. I'm sure it's just an adaptation of the existing regulators.

IIRC, the O2 bottle thread opposite to the Propane.

BUT,

Bernzomatic does make a regulator for the O2 bottles packaged in their MAPP/Oxy torche kits. So, there is a source.

Yeah, the red bottles are lefty-threads.

I've seen a few welding places that sell the regulators separately, but it's basically the same cost as buying the whole welding kit.

Yeah, the second best option was buying the brazing kit which came with a red bottle, yellow map bottle, a cheap regulator for both, and a parallel hose to a simple torch head. That was $50 at Lowes last time I looked.

Yeah, the red bottles are lefty-threads.

I've seen a few welding places that sell the regulators separately, but it's basically the same cost as buying the whole welding kit.

Yeah, the second best option was buying the brazing kit which came with a red bottle, yellow map bottle, a cheap regulator for both, and a parallel hose to a simple torch head. That was $50 at Lowes last time I looked.

Yep. But, if properly fitted it can be used for both Oxygenation and for MAPP/Oxy.

It's amazing the number of things one can find to cut with fire once they have a torch in hand. :D

Latest posts

Back