least of the lees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellsbrat

Reaction score
Just racked my first melomel to glass carboy for secondary a week ago I used the Lalvin Narbonne Yeast (71B-1122) and a bucket to ferment. Seems that during the transfer I moved a good amount of yeast as there is now what look like about a 1/2 inch of lees on the bottom of the carboy. Given the yeast strain should I transfer again,thought I read to get off this yeast as soon as possible to avoid off flavors
:drunk:

Do you think you may still have an active fermentation going on?

I would let it ride for a few weeks...from what I've heard, it's ok to leave the mead on 71b lees for 5-6 weeks.

Ed

gravity was stable for about 5 days before transfer, fermented for about a month with an OG of 1.150

Have you compared the current gravity with what it was when you racked it to secondary?

How long was it in primary? I wouldn't worry too much about moving it off the lees for at least another week or two so it can clear more before the next racking.

Ed

Back