Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As a new homebrewer who lives 2.5 hours away from the nearest LHBS, I'm looking to stock up on things that I will use frequently.

Currently, I'm considering buying some bulk hops. I'd like to stock 2 kinds which would be versatile, and possibly a 3rd.

I love hoppy IPA's, and really love the citrus of the Cascade, so that's a no brainer. Just wondering what another 1 or 2 hops to buy in bulk.

Considering Centennial/Chinook?

Maybe Nugget and Mt. Hood. Nugget is a good bittering hop that makes a mean IPA all by itself and Mt. Hood is similar to Fuggle for English beers.

what kind of styles do you normally like brewing?

Well.. I'm very new, and have only brewed one batch. Like my post said, I love Hoppy IPA's, but I plan on brewing a wide variety of beers. I'd just like to avoid having to buy 1oz. packages of hops all the time, especially when I live so far from the LHBS.

I just placed 2 different bulk orders. In #1 I got 1# of each Citra and Simcoe. Simcoe is AWESOME in an IPA and I cant wait to try Citra in one as well. In order #2 I got 2# of Cascade, 2# of Willametes and 1# of Saaz. :) My hops drawer will be over flowing again soon (I break them down to 2oz vacuum packed baggies and freeze them) :)

Simcoe/Centennial are great for hoppy IPA's. Saaz/Hallertau or other Noble hops would be better for bavarian style beers/lagers etc.

Thanks all. If I buy pellets and divide them up into say 1 or 2 oz. packages, how well do they freeze/keep?

If you can vacuum seal them, with a foodsaver or the like, they'll keep a LONG time. Like a couple of years! If you don't vacuum seal them, they will last quite a bit less.

I like magnum for bittering, and cascade is one of my favorite hops, too. I also bought a pound of northern brewer (a stand by for my steam beer), a pound of amarillo, a pound of chinook, and a pound of simcoe.

For west-coast style IPAs, magnum and cascade are my #1 hops. I use the amarillo for many others.

magnum is excellent for bittering. if you can't get magnum, i would say chinook. for flavoring as far as ipa's are concerned, centennial in high doses has always been my favorite. i also like ahtanum alot..it is a very mild, but flavorful, unique funky floral hop...

OK, I'm working my way through the 4 pounds of hops I bought earlier, and am ready to order some more.

I'm going to start brewing some European beers, Belgian/German/Sours, etc.

What would a good bulk hop to have on hand? Was thinking Hallertauer/Tettanger

Anyone know a good web page listing hops and info on them. The one I found does not list them all.

I'm partial to Styrian and EKG. I can't get enough - so I'd better grow some!

B

Back