Safale US-04 Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
Hey,

I have an ESB recipe that calls for Safale US-04.
Any idea what a substitute might be?

I have several dry yeasts at the house and was hoping I could substitute.

In house:
  • Safale US-05
  • Danstar Nottingham
  • Muntons
  • Coopers(1pkg)
  • Danstar Munich
  • Safbrew T-58
I was thinking maybe Nottingham or Muntons?

Cheers,
Tim:rockin:

Yeah, nottingham would be my first choice, though if you're doing all grain, you might want to mash a couple degrees higher. Nottingham will dry the beer out a little more than s-04. Is the muntons the gold or regular? It's been forever since I used muntons, I think I might have only used it on my first batch, but it might be good to use too, as long as it's the gold. If it's not gold, definitely use nottingham.

Actually, the Muntons is just the regular so I guess I'll use the Nottingham.

Thanks for the help!:tank:

Glad to see Windsor is not on your list. I've never had success with Windsor, I think it may have been developed specifically to give inexperienced brewers a difficult time. I'd go with Notty. I love US-05, but that wouldn't be quite right for a bitter.

None of the above.

Nottingham is not a substitue for S-04. I tried it in an ESB once several years ago (on somebody else s recommendation), and it was horrible. Nottingham could be used as a substitute for a clean fermenting American yeast, or in a beer that doesn't get any of it's character from the yeast, but not in an ESB.
I don't know of any dry yeasts that are similar to S-04, but can recommend several liquid yeasts.

-a,.

I would say Windsor, as its an English yeast similar to S-04 (which is NOT called "US-04" to split hairs). However I haven't used it yet, and RunBikeBrew says he's had problems with it.

Honestly, if you want to make a real ESB, then you need S-04 or the appropriate liquid strain.

Meh, I won the Blue Ribbon on the English Pale Ale table at this year's War of the Worts for an ESB done with Notty. So I obviously have no objections to using Nottingham for ESB.

Until very recently I used SO 4 exclusively as i was playing with malts and hops. I kept S 04 as a constant. Since I got close with what I wanted with the other ingredients I changed to Notty for an ESB. I prefered the dryness it offered as a contrast to the very malty base of the brew. I felt that the change to Notty was an improvement in my case. Having said that, I use brew belts in a fridge set at 55F.....So I have a consistent, but not accurate gauge of my fermentation temps.

Latest posts

Back