Help (Smack Pack)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangj

Reaction score
I just smacked my pack and it broke the seal in the corner. I was planing to brew tomarrow. Can I just put it into a bottle with some tin foil over the top?

i am no professional, but i would say just put it back in the fridge until tomorrow... take it out a couple hours before you pitch...

I'd make a starter as fast as you can and get an airlock on it. You can use foil over the top of a container instead of an airlock, preferably with a small opening, as long as you sanitize it first and fit it loosely over the top. Too tight and it will pop.

I wouldn't risk something getting into my yeast by leaving it open in the fridge OR getting it knocked over and spilled.

:mug:

Sanitize your starter container and put it in there. Oh, and use a smaller hammer to smack it with next time. :D

I was able to pinch the leaking corner and it holding pressure. Is it ok to leave it like this?

I suspect it will eventually leak with disastrous results. You should make the starter like Spyk'd suggested or do what I suggested.

OK.. I just cleaned a sanitized a beer bottle and put a piece of tin foil over it. Should I put it in the refrigerator?

Back