How's this for a Cream Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phecke

Reaction score
Hey there everyone, I'm relatively new to brewing but have been lurking the forums for over a year now. I'm finally ready to formulate my own recipe but with all of the great info I've gotten in the past here, I had to run it past you guys to see what could be done better or if I'm royally screwing something up. Anyway, it's for a Cream Ale, so here goes:

Fermentables/Grain:
6.6 lbs Light LME
.5 lbs 20L Crystal Malt (I want a little color, body, and some toastiness added)

Hops:
Bittering: .5 oz Sterling (8%AA) or 1 oz Willamette (5.5%AA)
Finishing: .5 oz Liberty (4%AA)

Yeast:
White Labs WLP080 or Wyeast#1056 or #1272 (This all depends on what the LHBS has in stock. I'm hoping for the white labs)

Fermentation Schedule:
Primary: 7-11 days at 60 F
Secondary: 14-21 days at 50 F

There you have it, thoughts and opinions?

Most cream ale recipes use some rice or corn fermentables to lighten the flavor. Browse the recipe section and look at a few to give you some reference.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'm a bit torn now on the style I want to make. I want something a bit lighter for a "summer" beer but whenever I hear rice or corn in a recipe it makes me cringe a little bit. I know corn or rice isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I suppose this is just because I think Bud Light whenever I hear it. So I suppose I have two options, either suck it up and use corn to lighten it somewhat, or change the recipe slightly and make a Steam Beer.

For a Steam Beer, I'll change the hops to 1-1.5 oz of Northern Brewer @ 8%ish for bittering and 1 oz of Cascade @ 4.5%ish for finishing, and use Wyeast #2112 or White Labs WLP810. Maybe bump up to a pound of 20L crystal, possibly use 40L.

Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance guys, this site really is the best help for someone who is "going it alone" when getting started.

Latest posts

Back