Coco mix instead of cocoa powder!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottconnor

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate espresso stout last weekend, and I missed my OG 1.093 instead of 1.083. I just realized that I used 8 oz of cocoa MIX instead of cocoa powder at the beginning of the boil. What are the ramifications of this? If its less chocolate tasting I'm ok with that, but will I have a hard time fermenting all the way down, or anything else more serious? Thanks!

I brewed a chocolate espresso stout last weekend, and I missed my OG 1.093 instead of 1.083. I just realized that I used 8 oz of cocoa MIX instead of cocoa powder at the beginning of the boil. What are the ramifications of this? If its less chocolate tasting I'm ok with that, but will I have a hard time fermenting all the way down, or anything else more serious? Thanks!

Cocoa mix is cocoa powder blended with sugar and sometimes dried milk. You are getting a lot less actual cocoa. The sugar isn't much of a problem, the milk if it's there isn't something you want in the beer but the quantity is probably low.

Yea, cocoa mix will probably have some sugar (not enough to make you care) and some milk powder. The fat in the milk powder may affect your head retention but apart from that it's mostly protein and a bit of lactose. Since clarity is not an issue (stout), I suspect the beer won't be very chocolaty and may end up a little bit sweet (probably not much) but I definitely don't think you've ruined it.

Thanks guys, I was basically trying to seeing if I ruined this. Willing to accept a different outcome, as long as its beer! The label says it contains:

Sugar, coco (processed with alkali), partially hydrogenated coconut and soybean oils, nonfat dry milk, corn syrup solids...and then other ingredients that sound REALLY foreign.

I realize its not the ideal ingredient, I was mainly worried that I would mess up the fermentation. I know why my gravity was high now which is good. I like this recipe, so if this turns out half decent, I'll give this one another go 'round next winter, maybe even with the right ingredients!

Thanks again, appreciate the input!

Back