OUCH!! My brewing night :) :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikolas_WestMI

Reaction score
So. Decided to make a Oatmeal stout tonight. Need to get some winter beer ready! :ban::tank:

Decided to have a few before brewing. All went great untill I had to move 6.5g of wort from my drive way to the back of the house to where I could run my wort chiller. Very quickly I learned a few things!!!

1. Oatmeal stout smell/brews amazing!!!
2. Boiling wort FU*KING hurts!!!!!
3. Never hit the valve that controls your boiling wart with your knee.
4. Boiling beer/wort will take a few layers of skin off and hurts WAY more then breaking your wrist or foot.
9. Don't spill 220 deg wort.
15. If you do, drop your pants and get naked quick!! You wife will be happy that little man did not get burned!!!
16. Keep up with the beer. Pain suxs but beer gets you drunk tomorrow so keep at it!!
45. If you do spill drink ALOT OF HOMEBREWR and take a bunch of pain killers AND......... brew on!!!!!!! **** it still hurts

all in all holy poop. I was lifting my boil pot to the shelf next to my sink. Hit the valve with my knee and unleashed hell on myself. The goods are good, but my upper leg is destroyed, blisters, pain, skin falling off. Holy beerinjury!! (<new word!!)
On top of all that, as the wife is holding cold packs on my leg and saying she will finish the beer for me, the clamp on my chiller breaks!! The wife moves crazy fast and cuts off the water.... faster then I have ever seen her move and she is 8 mths prego!! ( I guess she doesn't want me to buy beer!!!)

Low and behold I had a ruff brewing night. But all is good. my prebeer smells great, look great and fingers crossed will be bubbling away by morning!!

btw.... HOT WORT HURTS!!!!

Now to pick a ridiculously painful name for my stout, and drink alot so I can sleep.

:tank::tank:

Night HBT!!

Holy balls, that's insane! So you have some left, right? Hope you're okay.

Ow. Well, you can't blame it on Friday the 13th. Hope you recover fast!

Don't move boiling hot wort, people! It's just a bad idea.

Soooo sorry. We've all been there was the burn part, but it sounds like you got it really bad. Blisters and skin falling off is nothing to laugh it - it's called a third degree burn. Definitely make sure to put neosporin or another antibiotic on it prevent an infection.

Maybe call the beer the brown bandaid?
P

The Burning Stout

Or possibly Burning Man Stout

Wow hope you feel better!

You definitely have a serious third degree burn. Here is a chart the shows water temperature vs exposure time for second and third degree burns. It only takes 5 seconds of exposure to cause a third degree burn from 140F water...you spilled 200+F water.

A third degree burn is a serious injury. Do not apply ice directly. Use cold compresses to cool the area. Take ibuprofen to help control swelling. Keep the area clean and covered with sterile gauze. Watch closely for any signs of infection. I would at least call your primary care physician on Monday and ask for recommended care, it would be best if you could see them in person.

Hope you heal up quickly and your beer turns out great.

Ouch...I recommend boiling where you need to chill. I know I have a 50ft hose just for this purpose. I once attempted to move 220 degree wort, and I ruined a floor in a perfect circle where the keg was sat on it. Lesson learned.

First of all, it never hurts (no pun intended) to get medical attention, especially since your skin is falling off... Second, where are the pics? As long as we don't see yer nuggets that would be great...

I'd add to that list: Invest in locking ball valve.

Ya you need to be really careful for infection. And I don't mean the beer.

Double infection wouldn't be a good name :cross:

Call it, OOOOOOWtmeal Stout By Burning Balls brewery

I am with the 'go to the ER' crew, a good sized 3rd degree burn, unlike brewing, is not a DIY project. I had a friend who contracted a bad infection this way, not pleasant.

Doesn't sound like a 3rd degree burn. Blistering is a sign of a 2nd degree burn. 3rd degrees damages all skin layers and damages the underlying tissues (muscle, nerves, bone). A 3rd degree is a medical emergency due to the extent if damage and shock. All that said medical attention is a good idea.

Doesn't sound like a 3rd degree burn. Blistering is a sign of a 2nd degree burn. 3rd degrees damages all skin layers and damages the underlying tissues (muscle, nerves, bone). A 3rd degree is a medical emergency due to the extent if damage and shock. All that said medical attention is a good idea.

Still, let's give OP at least some credit for continuing with his brew. That dude is dedicated. But yeah when he wakes up he may be screaming.

Ouch...I recommend boiling where you need to chill. I know I have a 50ft hose just for this purpose. I once attempted to move 220 degree wort, and I ruined a floor in a perfect circle where the keg was sat on it. Lesson learned.

i did this as well. burned a ring in my hallway carpet.

we decided to put hardwood in there, and that little projected finally ended with a complete bathroom teardown and remodel.

bethebrew said:
Still, let's give OP at least some credit for continuing with his brew. That dude is dedicated. But yeah when he wakes up he may be screaming.

I totally give the OP credit. Plus the dedication of the pregnant (wife?). I am whole heartily impressed.

How about

get me some ICE cold stout
Liquid castration
Burnt Baby Batter Brew - or simply Burnt Batter Stout

haha the names are all great!

I am good. Just big old blisters. Lost a layer or two of skin but its just a bad 2nd deg burn. Beer is bubbling away in the basement as we speak!

I will run my hose out to run the chiller from now on.

now to pick a name from all this!!

Worse that has happened to me so far is busted my head open hauling my FV upstairs in the dark,miscounted steps and fell into a chest of drawers. Glad you are feeling better.

Back