Sea Dog Blue Paw Clone questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy2472

Reaction score
I followed the recipe below. I made (2) 5 gallon batches. One batch I used blueberry extract the other I used apricot extract. The blueberry has a slight bitter after taste the apricot does not. If the ingredients were the same then I must have changed something in the process. Any ideas?
Sea Dog Brewing Company
Blue Paw Wheat Ale
(5 Gallons/ 19 L extract-with-grain)
OG = 1.050 FG = 1.012
IBUs = 20 SRM = 6 (with slight blue tint)
ABV = 5.0 %

Ingredients
6.6 lbs. Briess wheat malt extract
12 oz. (0.34 kg) 2-row pale malt
4 oz. (0.11 kg) wheat malt
2 oz. (57g) Munich malt
0.5 tsp. yeast nutrient (25 min.)
4 AAU Hallertau hop pellets (60 min.)
(1 oz./28 g of 4.0% alpha acid)
2.5 AAU Willamette hop pellets (25 min.)
(0.5 oz /14 g of 5.0% alpha acid)
Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood ale) yeast
2 oz. (57 mL) concentrated liquid
blueberry extract
0.75 cup (150g) of corn sugar
(for priming)

Step by Step
Steep the 3 crushed grains in 3 gallons (11.4L) of water at 155º F (68ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort, add the liquid extract and bring to a boil. Add the first addition of Hallertau hops and boil for 60 minutes. During the boil, use this time to thoroughly sanitize a fermenter. Add the second addition of Willamette hops and yeast nutrient for the last 25 minutes of the boil. Now add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6L) of cold water in a sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (22.7L).
Cool the wort to 75º F (24º C). Pitch your yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 66º F (19º C) and hold at this temperature until the beer has finished fermenting. Transfer to a carboy and add the berry extract while stirring very slowly. This is to avoid aerating the beer. Condition for 1 week and then bottle or keg. Allow to carbonate for 2 weeks and enjoy

I'm going for the same thing... My Lhbs recommended the brewers best witbier kit with the blueberry extract.... I'm about to bottle when I get the chance and I'm wondering if you think 2oz is too much extract or will it get better the longer you keep it conditioning?

I used 2oz . Seadog blueberry has more of a blueberry smell and taste then many others. I will either rack on to fresh blueberries in addtion to the extract or add more extract next time I brew. The 2 oz you can taste and smell but I thought is came out closer to blue points blueberry. it's more of a preference so next time I will add more.

Looking to make a 5gal batch of this for a xmas present for the wife. Any feedback on how yours turned out would be helpful.

I followed the recipe below. I made (2) 5 gallon batches. One batch I used blueberry extract the other I used apricot extract. The blueberry has a slight bitter after taste the apricot does not. If the ingredients were the same then I must have changed something in the process. Any ideas?

Sea Dog Brewing Company

Blue Paw Wheat Ale

(5 Gallons/ 19 L extract-with-grain)

OG = 1.050 FG = 1.012

IBUs = 20 SRM = 6 (with slight blue tint)

ABV = 5.0 %

Ingredients

6.6 lbs. Briess wheat malt extract

12 oz. (0.34 kg) 2-row pale malt

4 oz. (0.11 kg) wheat malt

2 oz. (57g) Munich malt

0.5 tsp. yeast nutrient (25 min.)

4 AAU Hallertau hop pellets (60 min.)

(1 oz./28 g of 4.0% alpha acid)

2.5 AAU Willamette hop pellets (25 min.)

(0.5 oz /14 g of 5.0% alpha acid)

Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood ale) yeast

2 oz. (57 mL) concentrated liquid

blueberry extract

0.75 cup (150g) of corn sugar

(for priming)

Step by Step

Steep the 3 crushed grains in 3 gallons (11.4L) of water at 155º F (68ºC) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort, add the liquid extract and bring to a boil. Add the first addition of Hallertau hops and boil for 60 minutes. During the boil, use this time to thoroughly sanitize a fermenter. Add the second addition of Willamette hops and yeast nutrient for the last 25 minutes of the boil. Now add the wort to 2 gallons (7.6L) of cold water in a sanitized fermenter and top off with cold water up to 5 gallons (22.7L).

Cool the wort to 75º F (24º C). Pitch your yeast and aerate the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 66º F (19º C) and hold at this temperature until the beer has finished fermenting. Transfer to a carboy and add the berry extract while stirring very slowly. This is to avoid aerating the beer. Condition for 1 week and then bottle or keg. Allow to carbonate for 2 weeks and enjoy

I would like to try this recipe however switch the fruit extract for 2# of real blueberries and 32 oz of blueberry juice

SWMBO forced me to make a blueberry beer recently. I threw together the recipe below, and she loves it, and she's a big fan of Wild Blue.

Boil Size - 4g
60min boil
6lbs Briess Pilsen DME
.5oz Warrior (14.5%AA) - 60min
.5oz Warrior (14.5%AA) - 40min
(no specialty grains since we are shooting for a strong blueberry flavor)
Racked to fermentor - filled to about 4.2 gal with sanitized water
OG around 1.059

Yeast - Safale US-05 (re hydrated)

Primary for 10 days
Racked to secondary on 4lbs of blueberries (crushed, and added around 2c of Vodka). Left in secondary for 7 days.
Racked to tertiary fermentor for 2 days (just to clear and remove blueberries)

Kegged - Added .75 gal of Blueberry juice (trader joe's). Force carbed @ 25psi for 2 days, then dialed back to around 8psi.

At first, the flavor was a little sharp, and my wife didn't care for it. After about 3 weeks in the keg, she loves it. There's no mistaking it - it's a blueberry beer in appearance and flavor. All the my neighbors like it as well. I've never added juice straight to the keg, but it worked well. I'm planning a shandy next, and I'll be adding lemonade in the same way.

Back