Brewing beer in a washing machine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
found this on youtube, thought everyone would like to see this

[ame=http://youtu.be/96RXpiu73Mc]Beer Brewing in a Washing Machine Part 2 Mashing - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/tZE2EAfljnU]Beer Brewing in a Washing Machine Part 3 Mashing Wort Temp Control - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://youtu.be/4C6YXdy7TVw]Beer Brewing in a Washing Machine Part 4 Redneck Centrifuge - YouTube[/ame]

Why couldent you use one of those old fashioned clothes wringers to crush the grain!

How does he clean out the laundry machine? I imagine it would involve flushing with water and hauling the buckets outside.

I also found how he cools the Wort after the boil

And also

Last edited by a moderator:
That's absolutely amazing! I'm sure it would freak some people out but I was reading his comments and it seems he did a pretty thorough job of cleaning it, replacing hoses, and making it usable for brewing.

The radiator is a great idea too!

Pretty nifty. I wonder how his beer tastes? I'd be concerned about a few things though like whether or not the pump is food grade and how do you clean antifreeze out of a radiator unless the radiator is new. (but that seems to go against the theme) If there is anything to HSA in wort then that would be a huge issue with all the foam he created going into the buckets.

Wow. That is something else. Initially, I was thinking total redneck setup, but that dude seems to know what he is doing. My only question is about the radiator and if it is soldered with lead based stuff. That and I highly doubt the pump is food grade. But who cares?! That thing is awesome!

...My only question is about the radiator and if it is soldered with lead based stuff...

Eh, a little Pb never hurt anyone. I solder all my fittings with pure lead* and have never had a problem. Come on, don't pretend like you've never smelted lead in your backyard or something.

*This is 100% untrue

:off: Bwahahahaha. I so wish I had pictures of that.

Mom: What is that smoke and that awful smell?
Dumb High School Kids: We are boiling down some lead into this bucket for a trebuchet weight? Why?

This is hilarious and very cool, It must be a PITA to scoop the spent grains out of that thing though.

crackhead7 said:
This is hilarious and very cool, It must be a PITA to scoop the spent grains out of that thing though.

He says he uses a shop vac. Then cleaning is as easy as running a cycle with bleach

He says he uses a shop vac. Then cleaning is as easy as running a cycle with bleach

I never thought about a shop vac, hmmmm...very intersting

I think his idea in ingenious, just don't think I'd want to drink a beer from his set up.

+1 abouyt being learry about this set up. My only concern is the water pump, the rest seems like you could ensure it to be sanitary.

Fairly ingenuous, aside from the cooling process. Not exactly sanitary.

That being said....this guy is my hero. He just out rednecked everyone on HBT.

very awesome and creative. I just think he took something that could've been much simpler and made it as convoluted as possible

. . . . . If there is anything to HSA in wort then that would be a huge issue with all the foam he created going into the buckets.

+1, also he doesn't show anywhere how he's boiling and transferring back to the washing machine for cooling?

I guess I don't understand the inner workings of a washing machine but I'm certain there are bits of grain that get between the drum and the outer tank, how is that filtered out? Conversely how is it cleaned out after?

This reminds me of the guy who wanted to brew in his old hot tub. I wonder what happened to that guy.

I guess I don't understand the inner workings of a washing machine but I'm certain there are bits of grain that get between the drum and the outer tank, how is that filtered out? Conversely how is it cleaned out after?

7 posts back...

Not sure why everyone keeps calling it a redneck setup.. assuming food grade tubing, a washing machine is the perfect setup. It holds a bunch of liquid, it stirs constantly, and it has a recirculation system built in. I just want instructions on how to do it!

7 posts back...

Well what I meant was how he filters the grain from the wort and how he cleans the grain from between the drum and the outer tank (The holes let some of the grain bits through the drum), but I see on closer inspection that the pump is able to handle the smaller grain bits and he is using the grain bags in his buckets for further filtering.:mug: What a genius, almost instant 15 gallon brewhouse.

Still would like to see how he gets that 15 gallons back in there to run through cooling, I'm guessing a seperate pump, I would think some pre-cooling also?

Well what I meant was how he filters the grain from the wort and how he cleans the grain from between the drum and the outer tank

No bother--it's like a cast iron skillet. This thing will past down from generation to generation, and you'll still taste the first batch! ummmm... Great Grand Pa's Dirty Laundry Ale! Still tastes great!

Latest posts

Back