Michigan Beer Cup - who's entering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just dropped off my 5 entries for the Michigan beer cup(just in time for the deadline). My entries are: ESB (landlord clone), Saison, hoppy American wheat, smoked apple ale, and a sour-mash 1908 Kentucky common. Who else out there entered beers? I heard there were over 700 entries last year and this year is expected to be even bigger. Michigan really is a great beer state!

Yep, my name is on the list of winners on the website:rockin:. Can't wait for the awards ceremony on Saturday to find out which beer or beers placed. You coming to the festival?

Looking like I'm not going to make it. I made the list as well so I'm curious to see what did what. I sent in a Saison, RIS, cat 23 Sour Cherry Stout, Belgian Dark Strong ale and Biere de Garde that already won gold at the Siciliano's comp earlier this year.

My buddy emailed Dan Frechete and he said the criteria for an Honorable Mention was at least a score of 38.

Good job fellas. My name made the website also. I may try to make it Sat. but I have other plans also which sucks cuz I only live 5 miles from the campground...

I got 2 honorable mentions(the American wheat and the smoked apple ale), but no medals. There must have been some pretty good scores - my wheat beer scored a 42 and it still wasn't good enough to place. And whoever Phil Sullivan is, he is apparently one hell of a brewer. I'm surprised he could still stand up with all those medals. (By the way, wasn't the limit 5 entries? That guy must have won at least 10 times - How the hell is that?) I had some decent scores, but I guess next year I'll have to step my game up.

Some have questioned the honor of those putting the event on. Basically since the eastside clubs have taken over running the event (used to be michigan fair comp) those guys over there have been cleaning up and yes, it was supposed to be limited to 5 entries. Somethings not right there and I know of a few people that won't enter the contests they run.

Haven't seen results to see what I scored on any of mine. Patiently waiting. What ended up taking BOS?

EDIT: 42 and no medal......... Thats nuts. Scoring must have been high across the board. I sent in a Biere De Garde I won Gold with at Siciliano's comp (Judged by one of Founders Brewers) with a score of 43.5 so I'm curious to see what happens with that.

I haven't seen them yet. The score I just mentioned was from the Sicilianos comp earlier this year. Post up your results when you get them too.

I can't remember what took BOS, I was running for cover at that point since it started absolutely POURING rain towards the end of the ceremony. Plus all my categories had already been called, and I was getting tired of hearing the same names called over and over again( out of 700-plus entries, I swear only 5 or 6 people won everything). Kind of dissapointed in the competition, but the festival was fun and I tried a lot of excellent beers. I was expecting there to be more people there though. Maybe some decided not to come because the forecast was so grim for Saturday.

And whoever Phil Sullivan is, he is apparently one hell of a brewer. I'm surprised he could still stand up with all those medals. (By the way, wasn't the limit 5 entries? That guy must have won at least 10 times - How the hell is that?) I had some decent scores, but I guess next year I'll have to step my game up.

That guy is a machine! Back in the spring at the WEB in Frankenmuth, he must of won at least 9 medals. I believe he's a KGB member from Warren. It was funny that you mentioned his name because yesterday I was telling my gf "I wonder how many medals Phil Sullivan will win?"

That guy is a machine! Back in the spring at the WEB in Frankenmuth, he must of won at least 9 medals. I believe he's a KGB member from Warren. It was funny that you mentioned his name because yesterday I was telling my gf "I wonder how many medals Phil Sullivan will win?"

He is a machine indeed. Out of curiosity, I started looking around the web at competition results. He has won multiple medals at pretty much every competition within 500 miles of Michigan over the past couple years. Does this guy not have a job or go to school or anything? Seems like he's got 15 beers entered in every competition. I was brewing every spare moment I had for the past 3 months just to have 5 different beers ready.

I think that if you brew up a sh!tload of batches that you know are good, you save them for comps. and just enter the same ones in each different comp. throughout the year.
I am going to be entering the Renaissance Festival comp that opens next week and I am going to be sending in most of the same ones I sent in for the Beer Cup if they score ok. I guess Sullivan does the same thing. Except his are to style.

Thats kind of where suspicions arose. A few people from the Siciliano's comp had beers judged by Naitonally recognized judges that scored 10-12 points lower in the eastside comps. I know there is a lot of variation from comp to comp but 12 points is a lot even if your beer gets judged at the end of a session right after they just did the smoked category. LOL I personally don't take it too seriously, I just like to get feedback to help me improve.

Results are up, no medals for me but I'm #2 on the list of top 10 brewers based on average score. Can't wait to get the sheets so I can see where improvement can be made. Not bad seeing as how I've only been brewing for a year and a half.

I see an issue on mine. It seems that under the points distribution section, I have (2) 3rd's and (1)HM but going through the individual categories I only see my name twice, (1) 3rd and (1) HM :confused:

Last I heard he was trying to start a brewpub.

He already produces more beer than most brewpubs I know of. Did you notice on the website that he entered TWENTY different beers? Holy crap, he must be even more obsessed with brewing than me!

He already produces more beer than most brewpubs I know of. Did you notice on the website that he entered TWENTY different beers? Holy crap, he must be even more obsessed with brewing than me!

Yeah, saw that. I brew 10 gallon batches so I doubt I could drink 200 gallons a year... and I give a lot away.

So my honorable mention beers were as follows.
Saison-38pts with NO carbonation. Comments said if it had been carbed it would have done much better. I just bottled the 2 bottles for the comp and didn't do it soon enough so they didn't have time to carb. I need a way to bottle off of kegs.

Belgian Dark Strong Ale-41pts. Didn't expect this one to do well as I personally think the alcohol flavor/aroma is a touch too strong but it was judged by a National judge though.

Sour Stout cat23-43pts. Judges loved it and one asked for more. LOL Must have been some high scores in this category.

boostsr20 said:
I need a way to bottle off of kegs.

Search for "biermunchers bottle filler" on this site. As long as you have a picnic tap, a racking cane and a small stopper, you can easily bottle from a keg!

Back