keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer1

Reaction score
I work in a bar and I just got two 5 gallon kegs. how can I put beer into them?

If they're sanke kegs there are lots of videos around showing how to empty clean and fill sanke kegs.

I don't have one and haven't tried but from reading around in the forums I believe all you have to do is release the pressure first. I think most are using a screwdriver to depress the ball in the center. Then remove the locking collar again I believe most are using pliers and a screwdriver. Then pull the spear out if the center if the keg. Clean. Sanitize. Refill. Then reverse the process to seal the keg back up.

The Sanke kegs you got may actually belong to a brewery, chances are the bar didn't own them. Where did they come from? A lot of 1/6 bbl kegs are given out with $30 deposits, but they cost breweries $100+. I was just talking to the owners of a small local brewery here the other night about how keg thieves hurt their business.

Thanks for the info guys I'll check it out. I understand your concern Zach about the thieves and deposits but don't worry this was a legitimate gift that a local brewry hooked me up with. I'm the beer and spirits manager at a bar and I'm always looking to get my deposits back and I would never sacrifice integrity for a free keg or two. cheers!

If they're sanke kegs there are lots of videos around showing how to empty clean and fill sanke kegs.

I don't have one and haven't tried but from reading around in the forums I believe all you have to do is release the pressure first. I think most are using a screwdriver to depress the ball in the center. Then remove the locking collar again I believe most are using pliers and a screwdriver. Then pull the spear out if the center if the keg. Clean. Sanitize. Refill. Then reverse the process to seal the keg back up.

+1 Youtube is your friend for stuff like this.

haha you guys are hilarious!
Found some great info on youtube guys, thanks for the help everyone! :) now I'm going to keg my Pliney the Elder Black!
cheers for beers!

Back