Priming sugar overload?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDQ

Reaction score
Noob at work: racked to the bottling bucket, jammed the racking cane right into the yeast cake. Didn't want to get a lot of that in the bottling bucket so I stopped wen I got close to the bottom of the Carboy. Added the priming sugar and bottled. Now I'm looking at the Carboy and thinking I held back too much, this has increased the ratio of sugar. Have I just made a batch of bottle bombs?
This is an Oregon Original IPA kit:
8.8 lbs Breiss Pilsen Light malt extract
Grain bag: 8 oz ea of Muntons Crysal 60 and Weyernann Cara Amber.
Warrior & Cascade hops and Saf Ale US-05.

image-1065830409.jpg

I doubt you'll have bottle bombs, unless you used an abnormally high amount of priming sugar. Ill agree you left alot of beer in that carboy. looks to be a gallon or so.. Bottle that up!

You shouldn't have bottle bombs -- they may a little over-carbonated, but if you chill them down pretty well, you'll be fine.

Next time, stick the racking cane into the cake, but don't move it. A little of the yeast will get into the bucket, but it will create a little well in the cake. When you get near the bottom of the carboy, tilt it slightly ( while maintaining the siphon) and lift the cane off the bottom. When the beer level gets down to the cake, lift the cane and break the suction. This works well for me.

Thanks very much for the feedback, guys! This forum is so awesome! A panel of experts in the palm of my hand! :mug

Latest posts

Back