Blonde Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
Trying out another original recipe and looking for some feedback on how it looks. Blonde ale category.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)US (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.12 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 22.85 %
1.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 20.03 %
0.50 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

OG: 1.046
FG : 1.011
SRM: 5.5
ABV: 4.57
IBU: 15

I want to try something a little different with the hops. Something different than citrus tasting. Let me know what you think.

I think you have way, way too much crystal and carapils. It's over 40% of the recipe. This beer will be cloying and chewy I'd imagine.

I'd back the crystal down to 5-10% of the grist and the carapils to 5 or less %

strat_thru_marshall said:
I think you have way, way too much crystal and carapils. It's over 40% of the recipe. This beer will be cloying and chewy I'd imagine.

I'd back the crystal down to 5-10% of the grist and the carapils to 5 or less %

I agree

Thanks guys. How about this? Lowered both but went with 20l instead of 10.

7.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.21 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.82 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.97 %
0.50 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Any particular reason for adding the cara-pils?? If you're just looking to get good head from her, clean the kettle with BarKeepers Friend, not soap...

IMO, drop the cara-pils and increase the 2 row to a full 8#...

My first blonde had 10# 2 row, 1# honey malt, and .25# victory malt... A bit darker than a blonde (hence I called it a "Dirty Blonde")... I hit 24.5 IBU with mine. Used Wyeast 1335 in it too. Damned fine brew... It's on my 'brew again' list (I have people wanting it again). Next time, I might go for less hops. Although, my efficiency should be better, so the IBU's will be less with the same amount of hops. :D

One of the great things about home brewing... You can make whatever you want, no matter what other people say. You'll only have yourself to blame if it doesn't come out great. :rockin:

Only reason is I based my recipe off of a local micro I enjoy. I can drop it entirely. A little head is never bad :ban: haha. I clean my kettle with oxyfree. Then rinse it good. I'll try it first with out then see how the head is. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Your recipe looks like it will work, but it will have big body and mouthfeel. If thats what you're going for, cool...but I prefer my blondes to finish crisp and dry. My recipe is as follows:

85% Pilsner
10% Munich
5% Crystal 10

Cascade to about 22 IBUS at 60
Finish with about 1 oz cascade for 5 gallons in the whirlpool.

I mash it low, and ferment it with 001.

Back