Bottle conditioning and fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggityz

Reaction score
I'm planning on using about 2lbs of cherries in a stout and I bottle condition, so should I need to adjust the amount of priming sugar I use? I am planning on using about 4oz of priming sugar as of now so will that do or should I scale back? They are sweet black cherries btw.

Your cherries should be added to the stout and be allowed time to ferment out all the sugar they add. Once you have a stable FG, you add priming sugar as normal, 4 to 5 ounces (weighed, not estimated or measured in a cup) for a 5 gallon batch.

Ok so my og was 1.065 and my fg was 1.016, the gravity jumped up to 1.020 when I added the cherries and has gone down to 1.014 right now, so do I calculate my ABV like this:

original abv was 6.4% + 1 or 2% fermented out of the cherries

or

use the og of 1.065 and use my new fg 1.014 or 1.010 (whatever it ferments down to) to calculate

It seems like you'd want to use the value that shows the total sugars fermented, regardless of source. In this case, it would be (1.065-1.016)+(1.020-1.014)=0.055

ok, next question, I have let the fruit ferment for about a week now and seems like there are still lots of bubbles on the surface and the FG has went down to 1.012 and been there for a couple days, should I let it ferment for another week just to be safe??

ok, next question, I have let the fruit ferment for about a week now and seems like there are still lots of bubbles on the surface and the FG has went down to 1.012 and been there for a couple days, should I let it ferment for another week just to be safe??

Do you have something to drink? If so, you should give it more time. It's strong and its a stout and both of those conditions require more time to mature.

but I want to drink it NOWWWWWWW!!!! I guess some Breakfast Stout will tide me over

Back