Need someone to evaluate my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
OK
I bought about 7lbs of whole hops from a guy in Yakima, WA 3lbs of which were Columbus. He referred to them as "supers." He said they are 2009.
From what I've read their supposed to be pungent, but what kind of pungent.
I'm afraid what I'm smelling is cheesy, but I'm not sure.
They definitely don't smell like the 3.5lbs of Cascade. Much stronger, and they look a pale green.
I'm kind of concerned that they may be oxidized, but I don't have enough experience to know.
I would even send a sample to someone so that they can tell me if they are bad or not.
Please only offer to help if you are confident in your knowledge of hops. I know everyone would like to help but I need someone experienced.

You live in Madison...drive to one of your local breweries and see if the brewer can help you out. I'm sure they'd be happy to show off.

Cascade will smell perfumey and citrusy. Just picked a bunch tonight and it's unmistakable when they're fresh. Obviously these aren't being '09 but they should still smell somewhat citrusy. Like a basement, or cheese, or peppery gym sock is stale.

I haven't smelled stale CTZ (columbus, tomahawk, zues), but my Zues smell like onion with a hint of skunk right off of the bine. They just smell wrong but make great beer. If you've brewed with a bit of different varieties it can be off-putting but that's just how they smell and the beer comes out perfect in the end.

Don't know if these descriptors help but thought I'd chime in.

Thanks for the responses. You have given me hope.
And the advice from a brewery is excellent. I have one in mind.
I went ahead and brewed an IPA with one ounce of the Columbus, and 5 of the Cascade anyway. Couldn't help it.
I figure even if the Columbus is old a 60 minute boil should remove any unwanted flavor or aroma, and bitter as expected.
My air lock is bubbling away, and I get an awesome hop aroma coming through when I take a whiff.

Back