Connecting freezer & fridge in a refrigerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinyl_key

Reaction score
I'm looking to make the bump to kegging, which means I am scouring craigslist for cheap fridges. Is it possible to connect the freezer and fridge compartments in a top-freezer stand-up, or are there cooling coils in there? I've seen it done with a side-by-side, but those don't seem to be as available used where I am (in my price range anyway).

Most don't worry about the top. But you can probably get by without a temp controller if your using a regular fridge, as long as you plan on serving below 40 degrees. Most fridges can handle that, and you'll still have a freezer if you want it. Now if you are using it for fermentation....you want a temp. contoller for sure.

Well, the reason I want to knock out the floor of the freezer to connect the two is so I can get a bit more height to stack things up.

Really depends on the fridge, a lot do have coils in the bottom of the freezer, some are just foam.

I'm sure if you took your time you could carefully take the shelf apart & bend the coils out of the way like many have done in the mini fridges.

The fridge will also have a wiring diagram that should show if and where the coils are in the unit. Also, if you have an idea of the model number, you can find it on parts websites where they have breakout diagrams.

Back