Spire Mountain Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
Anybody have a clone recipe for Spire Mountain Dark & Dry Cider? I had my first taste of this fine liquid at the Great Alaska Beer & Barleywine Festival this weekend and fell in love! It definitely has a sweet taste to it, despite the "Dry" in the name... I'm assuming the sweetness is from brown sugar and molasses...?

Well, the color is definitely from the brown sugar and molasses. Problem will be that they forced carbonated a sweet cider, which is kind of impossible for the home brewer to do.

Okay, I'm just guessing here...

Apple juice concentrate, which I'm pretty sure that they use, runs about, what? 1.058 or so? Bottle says it is 5%, but it could be 5.3% or so and still be legal. If you bottle a sweet around 1.015... shoot, this math doesn't even include the brown sugar and the molasses yet. Maybe there is more water?

You can force carbonate a sweet cider. The easy way is with a corny keg and CO2. Or you could pasteurize the bottles after carbonation - that is a bit more work but still easily doable.

Do you mean the method for bottle pasteurization? It can be done several ways. Read the 2nd sticky and/or search the forum for 'bottle pasteurization'

I don't think there is one yet. The OP was asking if there was a clone recipe.

Probably just apple cider and brown sugar? I don't even think you'd have to add molasses if you're using brown sugar.

Their website mentions that it has brown sugar and molasses flavors though so I guess you could add some.

Anybody have a clone recipe for Spire Mountain Dark & Dry Cider? I had my first taste of this fine liquid at the Great Alaska Beer & Barleywine Festival this weekend and fell in love! It definitely has a sweet taste to it, despite the "Dry" in the name... I'm assuming the sweetness is from brown sugar and molasses...?

I too would love a clone recipe for this drink. I have played around with adding brown sugar or molassass to my primary ferment but to my taste buds it always seems to come out tasting bitter after fermenting. I am starting to think the way to go is to ferment a cider with a yeast you like and then back sweeten with a simple syrup of bown sugar and water, or mollasass.

FYI brown sugar is just white sugar with molassass mixed back in.

I too would love a clone recipe for this drink. I have played around with adding brown sugar or molassass to my primary ferment but to my taste buds it always seems to come out tasting bitter after fermenting. I am starting to think the way to go is to ferment a cider with a yeast you like and then back sweeten with a simple syrup of bown sugar and water, or mollasass.

FYI brown sugar is just white sugar with molassass mixed back in.

I too find that fermenting brown sugar or molassass seems to make the cider bitter.

I think however I have found a good recipe to make a clone of Spire Dark & Dry.

Here is what I did.

5 gallons Walmart apple juice
5 cups white sugar
SG was about 1.060

Added Red Star Pasteur champagne yeast
( This stuff ferments like crazy and is hard to cold crash I regret I had to use sorbate and campden tablets to stop the 5 gallon batch, but had no problem stopping the a 1 gallon batch with out the chemicals.)

When the gravity reached 1.020 i cold crashed. FG was 1.013 when I finnaly got it to stop.

I let it age three months and then racked it into a corny keg and placed the keg into the keggerator.

set it and forget it at 10psi for a couple of weeks.

Now here is where the molassass comes in.

Poured about two onces into a glass and added a teaspoon of mollassass and stirred. Topped of the glass with more cider to about 12 ounces total and gave it a gentle stir. I drank this while I was working on the computer and was surprised that it went down so smoothly and quickly!

There was no bitter taste at all like i had found when I tried to ferment the molassass. I hope someone finds this usefull.

Muduff

I've been studying cider from a British producer this summer. I can't tell you how to make a clone, but I have some theories.

First off, notice that Spire is 5%. You are going to get at least 6% with apple juice.

Secondly, it is dark, but it is not dry.

Therefore, ferment apple juice to dry, 1.000 or lower, no cold crashing. Get it stable. Then DILUTE the cider with a brown sugar/water mixture. It makes it sweet again, lowers the abv, and it won't go bitter while using brown sugar.

Sorry for digging this one up but the wife to be is in love with this Cider and wants me to make it for our wedding. Anyone have luck with cloning it?

I made a nice test batch 3 weeks ago. About a gallon of Walmart cider(would use apple juice next time) into an old 3 liter wine jug with ground ginger, cinnamon, 1/4 cup honey, 4 tbs coffee. Fermented to dryness in 1 week (EC-1118 yeast), racked and cold crash, bottled and bottle carbed for two weeks. Tastes f•••••g amazing. I tell people to sweeten to taste with table sugar, but I like it dry and tart.

It was brewed coffee. I would have cold-brewed it given another chance. It gave it a nice, thin, persistent head and a reddish brown tint to the brew.

Any reports on this?

It turned out VERY VERY dry once I kegged it. Enough to make your lips pucker dry. I need to do something to sweeten it up a bit. Since it is kegged am I screwed and have to dump?

My brother brewed a cider that tastes very similar. He used apple juice, molasses, grapefruit juice, and lemon juice.

Back