Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolcat5290

Reaction score
Hey,

Have you ever had the maple brown sugar oatmeal packets for breakfast?
Well I am going to try and make a beer out of those flavors. I'm just looking for advice, because this would be my first all grain recipe that I created.

Recipe Type: all-grain
Yeast: wlp002 english ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.07
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019
IBU: 29

Grains:
Pale malt 2 row - 10lbs
crystal 60 - 2lbs
special roast -1lb
flaked oats -.5 lbs

Sugar:
Molasses - 1 lb

Hops:
el dorado U.S. - .5 oz for 10min
willamette - 1 oz for 15min
fuggle U.S. - 1 oz 20 min

Priming sugar:
Maple syrup- 2/3 cup

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My only concern is the amount of grains and the amount of hops to get the desired flavors and aromas out of them.

Thanks.

I was thinking of going with an American brown ale style. Another question I have is if I wanted to get more of a nutty flavor out of it what could I do?

I can't speak to using maple syrup in a beer since I've never done it. But as for getting this kind of beer, I'd be sure to mash a little higher than my normal beers, say around 155F. Also, I'm a fan of adding the sugar, molasses in this case, directly to the primary towards the end of the high krausen phase and gently stirring it in to dissolve it. I think this lets the yeast work more completely by not getting lazy eating a bunch of simple sugar at the start of fermentation. Lastly, if you're looking for a more nutty flavor, I'd suggest looking into using Marris Otter malt instead of normal pale 2-row.

I can't speak to using maple syrup in a beer since I've never done it. But as for getting this kind of beer, I'd be sure to mash a little higher than my normal beers, say around 155F. Also, I'm a fan of adding the sugar, molasses in this case, directly to the primary towards the end of the high krausen phase and gently stirring it in to dissolve it. I think this lets the yeast work more completely by not getting lazy eating a bunch of simple sugar at the start of fermentation. Lastly, if you're looking for a more nutty flavor, I'd suggest looking into using Marris Otter malt instead of normal pale 2-row.

Alright thanks for the advice. I was thinking of adding the molasses at the end of the boil. I heard thats where you can get more flavor out of it. And then add maple syrup as a priming sugar. But i recently got some kegging equipment so I don't quite know how to add the maple syrup.

Back