White labs 011 american ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschmitt

Reaction score
I am brewing my second 5 gallon batch. My first one did not ferment correctly I believe due to the temp in the house being too warm and the type of yeast used.

This batch I pitched Sunday afternoon. Monday afternoon it was bubbling, this morning it was going a little stronger, this evening it appears to have already peaked and is bubbling but not quite as strong.

Question...how long should a typical 5 gallon batch have activity in the airlock?

Question...how long should a typical 5 gallon batch have activity in the airlock?

It depends on many factors. Seriously, I would not gauge any judgement on the beer based on the fermentation activity (bubbles, krausen, et al). I did a few times, but I was wrong. The real proof is with gravity readings and tastings, at the very end.

I am brewing my second 5 gallon batch. My first one did not ferment correctly I believe due to the temp in the house being too warm and the type of yeast used.

This batch I pitched Sunday afternoon. Monday afternoon it was bubbling, this morning it was going a little stronger, this evening it appears to have already peaked and is bubbling but not quite as strong.

Once you make a few more batches you'll realize it isn't really ever the same. Unless you have temp control, same amount of yeast, same recipe, etc.

I notice vigorous bubbles from about 1-7 days. Then Slow bubbling to no bubbling for another 5 days or so. Even so I let it sit.

Relax and let it go and don't worry. If its bubbling you did it right. No need to worry! :mug:

Back