Do I need to clean/sanitize my new equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblaker327

Reaction score
Hello,

I know this may seem like a bit of a dumb question, but I am about to start my first-ever homebrew and have learned that sanitation is very essential. Should I sanitize (and/or clean) my new equipment, even though it is brand new? If so, what sanitizing products do you recommend?

Always clean and sanitize your gear, even if it looks clean. I recommend using chemipro oxi.

Some may scoff, but others recommended using oxyclean as a cleanser and I love it. I fill my bucket with an oxy solution, toss in other parts to be cleansed, and let it sit. I rarely have to do any more than hand-scrubbing after that (literally, just using my hand to knock dirt off).

Star san seems to be the preferred sanitizer for a lot of people. It's acid based, but it's no rinse. Simply soak your stuff in star san (or spray, depending on what's getting sanitized) and dump it out. You can fill bottles with beer even though there's still lots of bubbles from the star san because it just breaks down and turns into food for the yeastie beasties

Yes.. To each his own but I like to use starsan for sanatizing, its a "on contact" sanatizer that you can pick up at your local HBS or buy online. For cleaning I use oxyclean. Welcome to the wide wonderful world of brewing!!

Yes,

Starsan or Iodophor... both have their good & bad points, but it really comes down to personal preference

I clean and sanitize my stuff after each brew session, then wash & sanitize again as each item is needed during my next brew day.

Thing to remember is that EVERYTHING that comes into contact with your wort after the boil is stopped, must be completely sanitized. From the moment you cut off the fire (commonly referred to as flame-out), everything you touch and stick in your wort/beer must be clean and sanitary.

Good luck,

Yes you should and when in doubt sanitize. It is a penny wise way to have far fewer potential problems. For sanitizing, I personally like Star San mixed with distilled water, it lasts for a long time and it can be used over and over if your cleaning habits are adequate. Oh and should you go with Star San, don't fear the foam and it is a surface contact sanitizer, don't wait for it to dry.

If you use OxyClean for cleaning, which I do, make sure you get the fragrance free version (OxyClean Free!). You do not want any perfumes!
I tried using Clorox's version of oxygen cleaner (chlorine & fragrance free of course) and ended up with a white film on all my bottles. Some people have reported the same with OxyClean but for me it's been fine. I wonder if it has to do with minerals in the water. I got rid of the film by resoaking in Oxyclean.

I use Bar Keepers Friend on my stainless. In this case to remove any oils related to production. Obviously , rinse thoroughly. Boiling will take care of anything else. For your fermenter and any other equipment coming in contact w/ wort you can soak in BBrite & rinse ,then sanitize w/ StarSan.
After fermentation soak w/ B Brite in hot water for about a hour then rinse well and and quick rinse w/ StarSan before storage until your next batch.

Latest posts

Back