Give input on my parti-gyle recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I'm interested in using the parti-gyle system for collecting second runnings for a second beer. It's really intriguing because you can get two different (though similar) kinds of beer from one brew day without a lot of extra work. I've formulated two recipes (one for the first runnings and one for the second). I estimated 60 percent efficiency for the first and 30 percent efficiency for the second. Here are my recipes for a red and a stout:
Type: All grain Size: 2.5 gallons
Color:
26 HCU (~14 SRM)
Bitterness: 35 IBU
OG: 1.061 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 6.3% v/v (4.9% w/w)
Grain: 6 lb. American 2-row
.5 lb. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
3 oz. American crystal 90L
3 oz. American victory
1 oz. Roasted barley
Mash: 60% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.051 3.00 gallons
Hops: 0.31 oz. Columbus (14% AA, 60 min.)
0.60 oz. Fuggles (2% AA, 20 min.)

And the stout:

Type: All grain Size: 2.5 gallons
Color:
98 HCU (~35 SRM)
Bitterness: 20 IBU
OG: 1.032 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 2.8% v/v (2.2% w/w)
Grain: 6 lb. American 2-row
3 oz. American victory
4 oz. Roasted barley
4 oz. American chocolate
Mash: 30% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.027 3.00 gallons
Hops: 0.13 oz. Columbus (14% AA, 60 min.)
0.38 oz. Fuggles (2% AA, 30 min.)

Basically I'll be adding 3 oz roasted barley and 4 oz chocolate malt to change the red to a stout.

No input? Does that mean nobody knows about Party-Gyle, they don't care, or everything looks fine?

edit: I'm re-posting in the recipes section

I was going to say that it isn't going to work, until I noticed 2.5 gallon batches, good luck, let us know how it turns out!

You're basically hoping for 90% efficiency then, right? Seems unlikely.
Take your recipe and set it up for whatever efficiency you usually expect. That will give you your gravity points, with which you can do what you will.
I made a Scotch once at 50% eff and a smaller beer at 25% (which came out a couple points higher) but the basic math is there.
Make sense?

Posted there, but basically, you need to set your efficiency at whatever it normally is, then divide the gravity points up.
I doubt you get 90% efficiency on your system!
If you get 75% on average, set one up for 45% and the other for 30%. Easiest way to do it once you have the recipe is to get your preboil volume on the first brew, step back, check the gravity, do the math to get the gravity where you want by pulling some out and topping with water, then finish running off into the second one.
This is a great time to have some DME handy, BTW. These sorts of things rarely come off like they're "supposed" to.
:mug:

That makes sense abt. I might add a pound or two more two-row, then.

I too am interested in your results.
The way I understand it, in order to make a really big beer (>1.090) you are not going to get much more wort than the first runnings, unless you boil for a long time. This means there is still alot of sugar available in the mash. By taking the second runnings and making a smaller beer you get twice as much beer for the same grain.
I'm thinking of a Wee Heavy and a Scottish ale with a similar technique, or an Imperial Stout/Dry stout.
Craig

Oh, I'm so mad! I was just at the LHBS and after the guy weighed my grains I just tossed 'em all in the same bag for the journey home. Now it looks like I'll have something between the red and the stout, and no parti-gyle :(. This is what I'm going to make out of it:

Brewer: - Email: -
Beer: Parti-gyle grain shuffle Style: -
Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
49 HCU (~21 SRM)
Bitterness: 30 IBU
OG: 1.044 FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 4.4% v/v (3.5% w/w)
Grain: 7 lb. American 2-row
4 oz. Roasted barley
4 oz. American chocolate
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.037 6 gallons
Hops: 0.37 oz. Columbus (14% AA, 60 min.)
0.71 oz. cascades (6% AA, 20 min.)

Back