Geting beer from europe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd38

Reaction score
I have a friend whos visiting his brother in germany and apperently you can only bring back one 1liter bottle.My question is how much is the tax on any beer over the one bottle?Also is there a way around this?How have you guys that have been to europe done it?Thanks.

Never been, but my suggestion is to really do your homework and get something you can't buy over here. They import so much now. An acquaintance of mine was showing off a bottle of Chimay Blue they brought back. They sell the exact same bottle in just about every grocery store. Get something special to make that 1 bottle really worth it.

Did they recently change the law? 1 liter of any type of alcoholic beverage is ridiculous. I could see if that was just distilled spirits, but to only be permitted to bring back 1 liter of beer? Do they honestly think you're going to sell 3 or 4 liters of beer on the black market? Does the IRS really want the few bucks from an extra liter or two of imported beer? Is this how the government plans on paying for... wait, that's for another forum.;)

I've brought back several bottles of beer from the UK (totaling about 2 liters) and I'd do it again.

I used to bring back 2 - 5 liter kegs of beer in my suitcases.

Never paid anything to bring them in...;)

I was last over there in 2006 (before the liquid ban BS). I brought back 2 in my check-in, 1 in my back pack and 1 in my carry-on....yes, 20 liters of good German brew!!:ban:

I've been over quite a few times and am always good for getting 6 - 8 bottles of wine in my suitcase! More suitcases = more booze!

I can't recall what the tax is, but I do remember on a trip to Portugal my wife an I carefully planned our alcohol purchases to stay under the limit, only to later find out that the tax if you go over was pretty minimal.

I recall that US customs has a decent website with all of that info. on it.

Bring back whatever you want, just TELL THE TRUTH at customs. I carried two cases of beer back from Belgium last year and the customs agent asked if I was going to sell it. "Hell no!" I said. He waved me through, just like every other time.

Back