Dip Tube Gas In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puter

Reaction score
Hi. I bought four used cornies. One of them had a tube that I expected. That can be seen here.
Dip Tube

The other three had a tube that basically just sat in the opening. It has the flange that supports the gasket, yet is only 1/4" long. Are these okay to use, or do I need to use the longer one pictured above?

Hi. I bought four used cornies. One of them had a tube that I expected. That can be seen here.
Dip Tube

The other three had a tube that basically just sat in the opening. It has the flange that supports the gasket, yet is only 1/4" long. Are these okay to use, or do I need to use the longer one pictured above?

Those are fine as well.

Yeah, actually the short ones might be better. I've heard of some people cutting their tubes down so they can fill up the kegs a little further. If your tube is long enough to stick into the beer, you can get suck back up into your gas line if you turn pressure off from the tank, which if you don't have check valves can ruin a regulator pretty quickly. Either way, gas is gonna get in :).

Yeah, actually the short ones might be better. I've heard of some people cutting their tubes down so they can fill up the kegs a little further. If your tube is long enough to stick into the beer, you can get suck back up into your gas line if you turn pressure off from the tank, which if you don't have check valves can ruin a regulator pretty quickly. Either way, gas is gonna get in :).

x2

I cut mine down to about 1/2" - however close the pipe cutting tool will get to the top.

M_C

Great! Thanks for the responses. I was hoping there was no issue that I could not think of.

Back