Beginner Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of recipes that would be good for beginners? I know I should start off with an extract recipe, but unsure what direction to go. Personally I prefer wheat beers.

You could search around the recipe database for extract recipes. If you like Hefeweizens, it couldn't be easier.

Wheat extract is typically a 50/50 or 60/40 mix of barley to wheat. Use enough wheat extract to get to an OG of around 1.050 for whatever volume you want. Bitter with 1oz of Hallertauer, or low alpha noble hop to around 15IBU max. Use a good Hefeweizen strain. Wyeast has several strains, but 3068 is probably the most popular. White Labs is WLP003 I think, but don't quote me on that. Pitch low, and ferment at 65F or lower.

Are you looking to make your own recipe or just wanting to find a good kit? AHS has a dunkel wiezen right now that is good and at a reasonable price. They also have a wheat stout that is good too. Good luck

There is a pretty big difference in taste between an American Wheat and a Hefeweizen. Take a look at the recipe database and use American hops and a clean ale yeast like US-05 for an American Wheat, conversely use a good Hefeweizen yeast and german noble hops for the Hefeweizen.

Wheat beers are easy. I liked the hefe I made a lot.

Just plain wheat extract which I get in bulk from lhbs plus I added a little carapils which gives the beer more body and some extra head retention.

Use a hefe yeast and you'll have a fantastic beer. I like either the white labs hefe strain or the Wyeast 3068 one both are from the same place and produce nice clove/bannana notes.

Traditionally hefe use pilsner the wheat extract may or may not use pils.

I'm not specifically looking for a kit, as I would like to get the feel of buying each ingredient seperately. I may give the Dunkel kit a try if nothing else. Dracus, could you send me the recipe that you used for your Hefe??

7 lb wheat extract
.25 lb carafoam
1 oz hallertu for 60min
White labs hefeweizen yeast

I pitch per Mr malty and ferment at 64 until done and rack strait to bottle.

I carb it based on style which in this case is more than the 3 volumes I typically do

Back