Help, First batch of anything brewed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtvarnell

Reaction score
Ok, I noticed little to movement from the airlock today. Made JohnnyJumpUp Cider on sunday. And only able to keep it at the temp of about 74 degrees. I knew it would finish faster.

I took a reading and it read less than 1.000 but more than .990. I don't have time today to bottle it since the holiday and was planning on leaving town. So I added more juice and Sugar to bring up the OG reading to about the middle of 1.100 and 1.200.

Will this buy me a few more days till I get back on Monday night?

I've never brewed that recipe. IIRC, its fairly high gravity right...something around 10%?

If you have hit the final gravity (1.000 or lower sounds right) you can just leave it. You probably didn't need to add more fermentables, but I don't think it will hurt anything, especially if you are looking for a slightly sweeter cider. It might ferment that out too however.

If you can't get into a secondary vessel like the recipe describes until Monday, no worries. You could probably let it sit for 2 or so weeks before doing anything with no problems.

Forgot an final OG reading. Tasted and bottled cider tonight. The taste was dry and semi sweet. I believe this is almost the taste I was after. Can't wait till it ages some. I added 2/3 cup priming sugar and bottled it. Will taste again around Sept 24th. Can't wait.

Back